Literature Database: Find Sources for Soft Sciences

In summary, Internet Archive is a great resource for literature, but there are other databases that are also good. Amazon.com is a good resource for soft sciences.
sbrothy
Gold Member
I know about arxiv.org for natural science (is that the right term?) and pubmed for medical science. Is there a similar site for literature and the more softer "sciences"? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried https://archive.org/
Internet Archive is a non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more.

But besides that, I guess it would be Amazon.com

There are actually many such databases, but not all that easily accessible from the open internet. I would speak to an academic research librarian for further assistance, assuming you have access to a decent university library.

You can find a whole lot of papers accessible from Academia.edu although note that this is a commercial service. It will try to upsell you on its deluxe paid service, but the freely accessible options will still get you a whole lot of papers, as well as (if desired) email suggestions based on what you read and download.

diogenesNY

Likes Astronuc and sbrothy
BrassOctopus said:
Have you tried https://archive.org/
Internet Archive is a non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more.

But besides that, I guess it would be Amazon.com

As I wrote, I know about arxiv.org. What I mean, though, is that arxiv doesn't contain much in the way of soft science. I'd like a similar place to go to for that.

sbrothy said:
What I mean, though, is that arxiv doesn't contain much in the way of soft science.

At least, not that admits it. :wink:

Likes Astronuc and sbrothy
sbrothy said:
As I wrote, I know about arxiv.org. What I mean, though, is that arxiv doesn't contain much in the way of soft science. I'd like a similar place to go to for that.
But they're not the same.

Likes sbrothy
sbrothy said:
I know about arxiv.org for natural science (is that the right term?) and pubmed for medical science. Is there a similar site for literature and the more softer "sciences"? :)
It's been a while, I know, but at the time i would have been happy with just this list. My own bad ofcourse. I could afterall just have searched wiki more thoroughly.

List of preprint sites. i especially like

psyarxiv.org

in there. :)

Likes sbrothy
Likes sbrothy
BrassOctopus said:
But they're not the same.
Oh. Sorry I only now saw the different spelling. A year later no less. It's ofcourse because I read arxiv just like archive (as you're supposed to with the Greek Chi in There. (Incidentally, It's the same thing with LaTeX yes?).

To my shame I've discreetly giggled (or even snickered) under my breath when people who appearently read more (or perhaps even less) than they discuss pronounce it "arksiv". To my disgrace I admit it makes me a somewhat nerdy, seedy, smug and obnoxioux litlle know-it-all prat which not much to show for myself. :/

In my defense I meet my share of people trying to show off. Last time it was a person who told us he was studying chemistry with an emphasis on drug manufacture. When I fund out he didn't know who Shulgin was the conversation deteriorated pretty quickly.

It's not like a physicst who never heard about Einstein, but It's up there. ..

Regards.

Likes sbrothy

1. What is a literature database?

A literature database is a searchable collection of published sources related to a specific field or topic. It typically includes academic journals, books, conference proceedings, and other scholarly publications.

2. How do I access a literature database?

Most literature databases can be accessed through an online platform, either through a university or library subscription or through a paid subscription service. Some databases may also be available in print form.

3. How do I search for sources in a literature database?

To search for sources in a literature database, you can use keywords related to your topic or research question. You can also refine your search by using advanced search options, such as date range, type of publication, or specific authors or journals.

4. What types of sources are typically included in a literature database for soft sciences?

A literature database for soft sciences may include sources such as research articles, book chapters, conference papers, dissertations, and other types of scholarly publications. It may also include non-scholarly sources, such as newspaper articles or government reports, depending on the specific database.

5. How can I evaluate the quality of sources found in a literature database?

When using a literature database, it is important to critically evaluate the sources you find. Some factors to consider when evaluating the quality of sources include the author's credentials, the publication date, the relevance to your research question, and whether the source has been peer-reviewed.