Lithium Hydroxide 0.602mole Calculation

• Thread starter chawki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lithium
In summary: Yes, thank you for your help. In summary, the equation says that you will get 4.5 moles of NH3 from Li3N + 3 H2O.
chawki

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
Li3N + 3 H2O --------> 3 LiOH + NH3
7g---------------------m
34.83g----------------3*23.94

m=14.43g
n=14.43/23.94=0.602mole.

Attachments

• Lithium.JPEG
    Lithium.JPEG
    20.5 KB · Views: 575
Physics news on Phys.org

0.602 mole is not an answer to any of the questions asked. 14.4g is much better.

But in part a, they asked to find number of moles.

Sorry, my mistake, somehow I read they just asked about mass in the first part of the question, and moles in the second. That's partially because you entered question as an image - I had to switch between the answer and the question, it doesn't help.

Ok, I'm sorry too for putting the question on image.

If the number of moles in part a is correct, please give me a hint how should approach part b, where they ask how many moles of ammonia can be formed if 2.5moles of lithium nitride is mixed with 4.5moles of water

n= (18.01*7)/(54+34.83)
n=1.419 mole.

No. Forget about masses, calculate just number of moles.

n=7/4 mole ?

How many moles of LiOH can be produced from 1 mole of lithium nitride? From 2.5 mole of nitride?

How many moles of LiOH can be produced from 1 mole of water? From 4.5 mole of water?[/QUOTE]

From 2.5mole of lithium nitride, we have 2.5*3mole of LiOH
From 4.5mole of water , we have 4.5 mole of LiOH

chawki said:
From 2.5mole of lithium nitride, we have 2.5*3mole of LiOH
From 4.5mole of water , we have 4.5 mole of LiOH

So, which one is a limiting reagent and what is the final answer?

I really have no clue...

Have you read limiting reagent page that I linked to several posts earlier?

yes but i didn't understand it...sorry

H2 + Cl2 -> 2HCl

You mix 1 mole of hydrogen and 1000000 moles of chlorine - how many moles of HCl would you get?

Borek said:
H2 + Cl2 -> 2HCl

You mix 1 mole of hydrogen and 1000000 moles of chlorine - how many moles of HCl would you get?

Please tell me

Take a look at the reaction equation and stoichiometric coefficients.

How many moles of HCl can be produced from 1 mole of hydrogen? How many moles of Cl2 are needed for that? Do we have that much chlorine?

How many moles of HCl can be produced from 1000000 moles of chlorine? How many moles of H2 are needed for that? Do we have that much hydrogen?

Borek said:
Take a look at the reaction equation and stoichiometric coefficients.

How many moles of HCl can be produced from 1 mole of hydrogen? How many moles of Cl2 are needed for that? Do we have that much chlorine?

How many moles of HCl can be produced from 1000000 moles of chlorine? How many moles of H2 are needed for that? Do we have that much hydrogen?

we can get 2 moles of HCl from 1 mole of hydrogen and 1 mole of Cl2
i used to have a method like '' x-number of moles'' but i forgot it :(

so how many moles of HCl we get for mixing 1 mole of hydrogen and 1000000 moles of chlorine o:)

No, you will not get the answer, you have to work it out. Try to answer all questions I have asked, it should become obvious what the final answer is. Answering 1 question out of 4 and hoping for a miracle won't get you far.

The amount of product HCl will depend on the limiting reagent.

wanna give me an example ?

[PLAIN]http://www.chem.tamu.edu/class/majors/tutorialnotefiles/cars.gif

In this example, you only need 32 tires to put those 8 car bodies to good use. Since there is excess tires after the reaction (cars getting the tires installed), the bodies are what limit the reaction.Sometimes it is hard to tell which of the reactants will limit the product. If that is the case, you need to use one given reactant and express it in terms of moles of the other reactant. If that is greater than the second given reactant, then you "need" more of that second reactant, and so that is the limited reactant.The ratio of H to Cl in your balanced equation is 1/1...

http://www.khanacademy.org/video/stoichiometry--limiting-reagent?playlist=Chemistry

Last edited by a moderator:

Borek said:
So, which one is a limiting reagent and what is the final answer?

limiting reagent is H2O because the ratio Li3N/H2O = 1/3 =2.5/(3*2.5) = 2.5/7.5
we have too much H2O than we need

the equation will be:
Li3N + 3 H2O ----> 3 LiOH + NH3
we multiply by 1.5 in order to get 4.5 moles of the limiting reagent.
1.5 Li3N + 4.5 H2O ----> 4.5 LiOH + 1.5 NH3
so we will get 1.5 mol of NH3

i hope I'm right

chawki said:
limiting reagent is H2O because the ratio Li3N/H2O = 1/3 =2.5/(3*2.5) = 2.5/7.5
we have too much H2O than we need

If water is a limiting reagent, we can't have too much of it.

chawki said:
so we will get 1.5 mol of NH3

Surprisingly, this is a correct answer. As I am not able to follow your line of thinking I am not convinced it is not accidental.

Borek said:
If water is a limiting reagent, we can't have too much of it.

Surprisingly, this is a correct answer. As I am not able to follow your line of thinking I am not convinced it is not accidental.
:biggrin:

ok well, isn't water the limiting reagent ?
I just watched that video and learned from it.

Water IS a limiting reagent, but it means there is not TOO MUCH of water, but NOT ENOUGH.

ahhh ok, i will try to understand that, and thank you again :)

chawki said:
so how many moles of HCl we get for mixing 1 mole of hydrogen and 1000000 moles of chlorine o:)

we will get simply 1 mol, the other 999999 will not react

No, we will not get 1 mole of HCl.

Close, but no banana.

chawki said:
:biggrin:

ok well, isn't water the limiting reagent ?
I just watched that video and learned from it.

we will need 1.2 moles of H2O ?

Looks like you still don't understand anything. Limiting reagent is FULLY consumed.

What is the formula for lithium hydroxide?

The chemical formula for lithium hydroxide is LiOH.

What is the molarity of a 0.602 mole solution of lithium hydroxide?

The molarity of a solution is calculated by dividing the moles of solute (in this case, lithium hydroxide) by the volume of the solution in liters. So, for a 0.602 mole solution of lithium hydroxide in 1 liter of solution, the molarity would be 0.602 M (moles per liter).

How do you calculate the number of moles in a given amount of lithium hydroxide?

To calculate the number of moles, divide the given mass of lithium hydroxide by its molar mass. The molar mass of lithium hydroxide is 23.95 g/mol for lithium and 17.01 g/mol for hydroxide, so the total molar mass is 40.96 g/mol. Therefore, if you have 40.96 grams of lithium hydroxide, you have 1 mole of it.

What is the weight of 0.602 moles of lithium hydroxide?

To calculate the weight of 0.602 moles of lithium hydroxide, multiply the number of moles by its molar mass. 0.602 moles x 40.96 g/mol = 24.68 grams of lithium hydroxide.

What is the purpose of calculating the molarity of a solution of lithium hydroxide?

The molarity of a solution is important in determining the concentration of a solute in a given volume of solution. This is useful in various scientific experiments and industrial processes where precise measurements of concentrations are necessary. In the case of lithium hydroxide, its molarity can also be used to determine the amount of acid needed to neutralize it in a chemical reaction.