What distribution should I use for generating random client counts?

In summary, the conversation discusses testing a hypothesis about the average number of clients who visit a bank during specific time intervals. The speaker is unsure about which distribution to use in generating random client counts. The suggestion of using the Poisson distribution is given as it models the count of events rather than the intervals between them.
twoflower

Homework Statement

The bank is opened from 9:00 to 17:00. From 9:00 to 10:30 the average client count who come into bank is 32/hour, from 10:30 to 15:30 it is 26/hour and from 15:30 to 17:00 it is 50 clients per hour.

I have to test the hypothesis that the average count of clients who came to bank is 253 - this number was selected so that it's the sum of average counts for those time intervals.

I have to test this hypothesis based on sample of 250 days - I have to use random clients count [itex]N_1, ..., N_{250}[/itex]. The problem is (for me) the way I must generate these random counts. They should be "drawn" from distribution, whose mean value is equal to average client count per day, ie. 253.

But what's the distribution like? I guess it's just some well known distribution and I must guess which one, but I can't find it out. I thought with exponential distribution I could do it, but it models rather intervals between events than count of the events itself. Then normal distribution came to my mind. It's quite appropriate I think but I don't know the variance it should have...

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
twoflower said:

Homework Statement

I thought with exponential distribution I could do it, but it models rather intervals between events than count of the events itself.

...which would seem to be the job of the Poisson distribution, if I remember right. I'm not 100% sure though.

cepheid said:
...which would seem to be the job of the Poisson distribution, if I remember right. I'm not 100% sure though.

Thank you cepheid! That will be the one I'm looking for.

1. What is the definition of statistics?

Statistics is the practice of collecting, analyzing, and interpreting numerical data in order to make informed decisions or draw conclusions about a population or phenomenon.

2. How is statistics used in research?

Statistics is used in research to help describe patterns and relationships in data, test hypotheses, and make predictions. It provides a way to objectively analyze and interpret data, allowing researchers to draw meaningful conclusions and make evidence-based decisions.

3. What are the two main branches of statistics?

The two main branches of statistics are descriptive statistics and inferential statistics. Descriptive statistics involves summarizing and describing data, while inferential statistics involves making inferences or generalizations about a population based on a sample of data.

4. What is the difference between a population and a sample in statistics?

A population refers to the entire group of individuals or objects that a researcher is interested in studying, while a sample is a smaller subset of the population that is actually observed and measured. Statistics is often used to make inferences about a population based on data collected from a sample.

5. How can statistics be misleading?

Statistics can be misleading when data is not collected or analyzed properly, when conclusions are drawn from a biased sample, or when correlation is mistaken for causation. It is important to critically evaluate statistical information and consider the context in which it was collected before drawing conclusions or making decisions based on it.