1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Little bit of statistics

1. Mar 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The bank is opened from 9:00 to 17:00. From 9:00 to 10:30 the average client count who come into bank is 32/hour, from 10:30 to 15:30 it is 26/hour and from 15:30 to 17:00 it is 50 clients per hour.

I have to test the hypothesis that the average count of clients who came to bank is 253 - this number was selected so that it's the sum of average counts for those time intervals.

I have to test this hypothesis based on sample of 250 days - I have to use random clients count [itex]N_1, ..., N_{250}[/itex]. The problem is (for me) the way I must generate these random counts. They should be "drawn" from distribution, whose mean value is equal to average client count per day, ie. 253.

But what's the distribution like? I guess it's just some well known distribution and I must guess which one, but I can't find it out. I thought with exponential distribution I could do it, but it models rather intervals between events than count of the events itself. Then normal distribution came to my mind. It's quite appropriate I think but I don't know the variance it should have...

Thank you for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2007 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...which would seem to be the job of the Poisson distribution, if I remember right. I'm not 100% sure though.

4. Mar 18, 2007 #3
    Thank you cepheid! That will be the one I'm looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?