How to show that the integral of sin 1/x is insoluble?

• Thread starter Dunedain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the student is struggling with an equation given by their tutor, specifically the integral of sin 1/x. They believe it is insoluble and are unsure of how to approach it. Another student suggests that it is not possible to prove that there is no simple antiderivative for this equation. Finally, the student clarifies that the equation they are struggling with is the integral of sin (1/x).
Dunedain

Homework Statement

Our tutor has given us an equation to think about:

Homework Equations

integral of sin 1/x

I'm pretty sure it's insoluble but how would I go about showing it is?

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea where to start any advice, tried by parts but it ends up in a mess? Not really a proof just because I can't solve it...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what your teacher expects from you. Your suspicion that there is no simple antiderivative expressible with the "usual" functions is correct. Also there is no way you will be able to prove that statement. I would bet that your tutor can't either.

Just to be clear is the problem

∫((sin 1)/x) dx

or

∫sin (1/x) dx?

Because one of these is much easier :)

1. What does it mean to be "a little confused by this"?

Being "a little confused by this" means that you are not completely understanding or comprehending the subject matter or situation at hand. It suggests that there may be some confusion or uncertainty, but not to a significant degree.

2. Can you clarify what is causing the confusion?

Yes, I can provide further information or explanation about the topic or issue that is causing the confusion. It may be helpful to ask specific questions or provide more context so that I can better address your confusion.

3. Is it normal to feel a little confused when learning something new?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel a little confused when learning something new. Learning involves processing new information and making connections to existing knowledge, which can be a challenging and sometimes confusing process.

4. How can I overcome my confusion?

There are a few strategies that can help you overcome confusion, such as breaking down the information into smaller, more manageable chunks, seeking clarification from a teacher or expert, or practicing and reviewing the material multiple times.

5. Is it okay to ask for help when I am feeling a little confused?

Absolutely! Seeking help from others, whether it be a teacher, peer, or expert, is an important part of the learning process. It is always better to ask for clarification or assistance than to continue feeling confused and potentially making mistakes.