Solve the Integration by Parts Equation: xlnx dx | Senior in AP Calculus BC

• Thread starter ricekrispie
  • Start date
In summary, the person is a high school senior studying AP Calculus BC and is trying to figure out integration by parts, specifically with the problem of integrating xlnx. They are seeking help and have been advised to choose u and dv carefully, with a hint to consider d(ln x)/dx = 1/x. They have been given two options for u and dv and are advised to choose the one that will be easier to handle. The final step is to complete the integral by solving for the last integral.
ricekrispie
hello.. i´m a hs senior in ap calculus bc but i went out of the country for vacations and brough my calculus book with me... i´ve been trying to figure out integration by parts by myself but i stumbled on this problem:confused:
i know it´s supposed to be simple but it is driving me nuts...

Integrate:
xlnx dx

thanks for helping :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
integration by parts, note pick your u and dv carefully

Last edited:
ricekrispie said:
hello.. i´m a hs senior in ap calculus bc but i went out of the country for vacations and brough my calculus book with me... i´ve been trying to figure out integration by parts by myself but i stumbled on this problem:confused:
i know it´s supposed to be simple but it is driving me nuts...

Integrate:
xlnx dx

thanks for helping :smile:
You have two choices (u=x and dv=lnxdx) or (u=lnx and dv=xdx). Choose the one you think will be easier to handle.

Hint, d(ln x)/dx = 1/x...

Oh, whatever: u = ln x, dv = x => du = 1/x, v = x^2/2.
So you get (x^2 * ln x)/2 - Int(x/2, x). And you just got to do that last integral.

1. What is the meaning of "Little help? simple problem"?

"Little help? simple problem" is a phrase that is commonly used to ask for assistance with a small or easy issue or task. It implies that the problem is not complex and can be easily solved with a little bit of help.

2. Why is this phrase often used in scientific research?

In scientific research, there are often small problems or challenges that arise during experiments or data analysis. Using the phrase "Little help? simple problem" can convey to colleagues or team members that assistance is needed without causing alarm or interrupting the flow of work.

3. How can I provide a little help for a simple problem in a scientific setting?

One way to provide a little help for a simple problem in a scientific setting is to offer suggestions or solutions based on your own expertise or experience. It can also be helpful to brainstorm with colleagues or refer to relevant research or resources.

4. Is it common for scientists to ask for help with simple problems?

Yes, it is common for scientists to ask for help with simple problems. Science is often a collaborative effort, and seeking assistance from others is an effective way to solve problems and advance research.

5. How can I avoid getting stuck on little problems in my scientific work?

To avoid getting stuck on little problems in scientific work, it can be helpful to break down larger tasks into smaller, manageable steps. It can also be beneficial to regularly communicate with colleagues and seek input or advice when facing challenges. Additionally, taking breaks and approaching problems with a fresh perspective can help prevent getting stuck on small issues.