Validity of Implication Arguments in Movie Reviews

• Thread starter setvectorgroup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    implication
In summary, the argument states that if a movie is not worth seeing, then it was not made in England. It also states that a movie is worth seeing only if critic Ivor Smallbrain reviews it. Based on these premises, it can be deduced that if a movie was not reviewed by Ivor Smallbrain, then it is not worth seeing and therefore was not made in England. This can be symbolically represented as Not W -> Not ME, W -> R, Not R -> Not W.
setvectorgroup

Homework Statement

Is the argument below valid? If it's valid, write down the argument symbolically.

If a movie is not worth seeing, then it was not made in England. A movie is worth seeing only if critic Ivor Smallbrain reviews it. The movie The Good, The Bad and The Mathematician was not reviewed by Ivor Smallbrain. Therefore The Good, The Bad and The Mathematician was not made in England.

The Attempt at a Solution

I use ME for "made in England", W for "worth seeing", R for "reviewed/s".

1. Not W - > not ME (If a movie is not worth seeing, then it was not made in England.)
2. W - > R (A movie is worth seeing only if critic Ivor Smallbrain reviews it)
3. not R- > not W (The movie The Good, The Bad and The Mathematician was not reviewed by Ivor Smallbrain)
4. According to the first statement, the movie was not made in England.

Please, check if I am wrong/correct.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
That is correct.

Thank You, mfb.

What is the "Little Implication Problem"?

The Little Implication Problem is a philosophical concept that explores the relationship between language and reality. It refers to the idea that the meanings of words and sentences do not always directly correspond to the reality they are describing.

How does the Little Implication Problem relate to science?

In science, the Little Implication Problem can manifest in situations where scientific theories and hypotheses are based on limited evidence and may not fully capture the complexity of reality. It highlights the importance of constantly reevaluating and refining our understanding of the world through experimentation and observation.

What is the significance of the Little Implication Problem?

The Little Implication Problem challenges us to critically examine the assumptions and limitations of our language and knowledge. It reminds us that our understanding of the world is constantly evolving and that we must be open to new perspectives and evidence.

How do scientists address the Little Implication Problem?

Scientists address the Little Implication Problem by using the scientific method, which involves making observations, formulating hypotheses, and conducting experiments to test those hypotheses. By constantly testing and refining our understanding of the world, we can minimize the effects of the Little Implication Problem.

Can the Little Implication Problem be solved?

The Little Implication Problem is not something that can be definitively solved because it is an inherent part of the relationship between language and reality. However, scientists can continue to strive towards a better understanding of the world by acknowledging and addressing the Little Implication Problem in their research and theories.