Little jobs

  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
wolram
Gold Member
4,236
554

Main Question or Discussion Point

Ok, at work i am asked to fix a dripping tap, so thinks i a five minute job, just
change the washer, so off i go, but find out the tap is to corroded to repair,
so off i go to get a new tap, new tap in hand i take the old one off an the
new one on, only to find the pipe just will not seal, so off comes the pipe, i
find the pipe has a tiny split just by the olive, the pipe goes through the ceiling
so into the roof space i go, before i was using the check valve in the pipe to
turn off the water so i could have just changed the pipe from check valve
to tap, but the pipe joints to the valve were also corroded so i though replace
the lot, so i turn off the gate valve and undo the pipe, water gushes every
where, the valve hadn't sealed, and the pipe had dropped through the hole in
the ceiling, i had no option but to turn off the main valve, luckily only about
twenty feet away, next time i am asked to fix a dripping tap :grumpy:
 

Answers and Replies

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,946
130
You had an eventful day, at least..:smile:
 
wolram
Gold Member
4,236
554
arildno said:
You had an eventful day, at least..:smile:
Yes but i had to go to the boiler house to dry off. :grumpy:
 
Lisa!
Gold Member
601
90
Oh Sir, you're quite slow in doing these kind of jobs, aren't you?(can I use ! at the and of my sentence. Please say yes.)
 
JamesU
Gold Member
732
3
Lisa! said:
Oh Sir, you're quite slow in doing these kind of jobs, aren't you?(can I use ! at the and of my sentence. Please say yes.)
lisa!... do you remember this post?
 
Lisa!
Gold Member
601
90
yomamma said:
lisa!... do you remember this post?
Thanks! How lovely you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
JamesU
Gold Member
732
3
edit that post :grumpy:

dot--> .<--dot
do it
 
Lisa!
Gold Member
601
90
yomamma said:
edit that post :grumpy:

dot--> .<--dot
do it
I hate you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
wolram
Gold Member
4,236
554
Lisa! said:
Oh Sir, you're quite slow in doing these kind of jobs, aren't you?(can I use ! at the and of my sentence. Please say yes.)
Grrrrrrrrrr, i have so many things to fix in a day, every now and then a job
goes tits up, can you use what at the end of a sentence?
:confused:
 
JamesU
Gold Member
732
3
Lisa! said:
I hate you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am trying to help. <--
_______________^
 
wolram
Gold Member
4,236
554
yomamma said:
I am trying to help. <--
_______________^
What the eky thump you and lisa on about ?
 
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,946
130
Lisa! has a fascination for !'s.
Personally, I don't see the problem with that.
 
Lisa!
Gold Member
601
90
arildno said:
Lisa! has a fascination for !'s.
Personally, I don't see the problem with that.
Thank you esp. because you didn't forget to put "!" in my username!!!!!!!!!!
 
Last edited:
Lisa!
Gold Member
601
90
yomamma said:
I am trying to help. <--
_______________^
No, you're not!
 
wolram
Gold Member
4,236
554
arildno said:
Lisa! has a fascination for !'s.
Personally, I don't see the problem with that.
??????? I can only think little things please little minds :uhh: or it is just another
ploy, she does need lots of attention.
:biggrin:

But every one should be sorry for me and all i have to put up with :grumpy:
 
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,946
130
wolram said:
But every one should be sorry for me and all i have to put up with :grumpy:
So you want cuddle&sympathy, then?
 
6,171
1,275
Wolram, all the plumbing here at the zoobie brush shelter is the same way: an apparently small, straighforward job turns out to require extensive replumbing, and there is always a flood thrown in somewhere for good measure.
 
Lisa!
Gold Member
601
90
Mr wolram said:
??????? I can only think little things please little minds :uhh: or it is just another
ploy, she does need lots of attention.
:biggrin:
Sorry Sir! You're probably right but you're not allowed to pay attention to me anyway!!!!!
 
224
0
Ha! I know how that feels. When we got the new house me and my dad thought a similar job would be a 30 mins job. It ended up taking a whole day and from then on I don't do any plumbing jobs unless I really know what I'm doing because they can go way wrong.

Last semester (second semester in college majoring in mechanical engineering) I was just a freshman and got this job in the engineering dept. They had nothing for me to do but shred boxes and boxes of paper from like 30 years ago...The secretary gave me a shredding machine that stops on its own when it gets hot (of course she forgot to tell me). I was shredding paper with the staples since the machine said that was ok, but then suddenly the machine stopped! Of course I think a staple got stuck in it and sit there for 15 mins trying to open it. One electrical engineer walks in and sees me trying to fix it so he tries to help too. He can't figure out why it doesn't wanna open so he gets another electrical engineer (they were both in their 40's I think). They spend an hour trying to open the thing and it doesn't wanna open so they break it open (engineers...ha!). We then figure out that we were missing a screw hidden under the warning sign on the back. They take EVERYTHING appart and find no staple stopping the thing and then this one guy finds a sensor that stops it when it gets hot or something. We put it back together and of course it never worked again (my first day shredding). Secretary replaces it since it was a new machine and everyone's happy :biggrin:.

This summer I got a job in the library and after a few days, they find out that I'm a mechanical engineering major. They get a problem with the printer and ask me to fix it...I went to check it out and see if there's any paper jam but there wasn't any. I told them that I didn't wanna mess anymore with their $400 printer and they better get someone who knows what they're doing (I learned my lesson).
 
wolram
Gold Member
4,236
554
zoobyshoe said:
Wolram, all the plumbing here at the zoobie brush shelter is the same way: an apparently small, straighforward job turns out to require extensive replumbing, and there is always a flood thrown in somewhere for good measure.
I think i will wear a full body condom next time. :biggrin:
 
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,349
51
Wolram, I do feel sorry for you. That's exactly how I ended up re-plumbing everything leading to the shower in my bathroom last winter, except there was no shut-off valve in the wall, so as the project got progressively more complicated and the main shut-off valve to the house was off longer, I had to plan trips to the restroom to coincide with trips to the store for more supplies...no small feat I tell you! Though, I finally wised up and installed shut-off valves just on the water supply lines I was working on when I decided I had worked back far enough in the wall to not need to remove any more pipe to finish the job. The new owner will get to inherit the toilet with the shut-off valve that doesn't shut off and that will require knocking out a chunk of wall to replace. :biggrin: I decided not to touch that one, but when I replaced the toilet valve, that was another project that required turning off the main water supply to the house.

It's always the small jobs that quickly get more complicated. I've now learned that if a job looks like it should take 10 minutes, plan to spend a whole day on it. If it looks like it will take 2 hours, plan to spend a whole weekend on it, and if it looks like it will take a weekend to complete, call a contractor! :rolleyes:
 
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,349
51
wolram said:
I think i will wear a full body condom next time. :biggrin:
Wimp! Kids pay a lot of money to go to amusement parks and get doused with water in the summer, and you got it for free, and even as an on-the-job perk. You should be grateful for how kind your employer was. :biggrin: :approve:
 
wolram
Gold Member
4,236
554
Physics_wiz said:
Ha! I know how that feels. When we got the new house me and my dad thought a similar job would be a 30 mins job. It ended up taking a whole day and from then on I don't do any plumbing jobs unless I really know what I'm doing because they can go way wrong.

Last semester (second semester in college majoring in mechanical engineering) I was just a freshman and got this job in the engineering dept. They had nothing for me to do but shred boxes and boxes of paper from like 30 years ago...The secretary gave me a shredding machine that stops on its own when it gets hot (of course she forgot to tell me). I was shredding paper with the staples since the machine said that was ok, but then suddenly the machine stopped! Of course I think a staple got stuck in it and sit there for 15 mins trying to open it. One electrical engineer walks in and sees me trying to fix it so he tries to help too. He can't figure out why it doesn't wanna open so he gets another electrical engineer (they were both in their 40's I think). They spend an hour trying to open the thing and it doesn't wanna open so they break it open (engineers...ha!). We then figure out that we were missing a screw hidden under the warning sign on the back. They take EVERYTHING appart and find no staple stopping the thing and then this one guy finds a sensor that stops it when it gets hot or something. We put it back together and of course it never worked again (my first day shredding). Secretary replaces it since it was a new machine and everyone's happy :biggrin:.

This summer I got a job in the library and after a few days, they find out that I'm a mechanical engineering major. They get a problem with the printer and ask me to fix it...I went to check it out and see if there's any paper jam but there wasn't any. I told them that I didn't wanna mess anymore with their $400 printer and they better get someone who knows what they're doing (I learned my lesson).
You shouldn't worry, where i work every thing has to be fixed ASAP, some
of our tool kit consists of graded hammers, most times they work well, but
some times, oops, i think we need a new £2000 one of these.
 
Lisa!
Gold Member
601
90
Moonbear said:
Wimp! Kids pay a lot of money to go to amusement parks and get doused with water in the summer, and you got it for free, and even as an on-the-job perk. You should be grateful for how kind your employer was. :biggrin: :approve:
I think he's employer is very tolerent and patient too, isn't he?
 
wolram
Gold Member
4,236
554
Moonbear said:
Wimp! Kids pay a lot of money to go to amusement parks and get doused with water in the summer, and you got it for free, and even as an on-the-job perk. You should be grateful for how kind your employer was. :biggrin: :approve:
Well at least i didn't have to keep my legs crossed while drying out in the boiler house :biggrin:
 

Related Threads for: Little jobs

  • Last Post
2
Replies
30
Views
3K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
26
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
13
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
1K
Replies
1
Views
293
  • Poll
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
936
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
2K
Top