How Did an Attempt to Fix a Dripping Tap Turn into a Fiery Disaster?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the employee was asked to fix a dripping tap but found out the tap was corroded and needed to be replaced. They went to the boiler house to dry off and then turned off the main valve. Next time they were asked to fix a dripping tap, they had to go to the boiler house again because the pipe had dropped through the ceiling.
So, what did you do, then?

Physics news on Phys.org
When all else fails and you can't do the job by hand, get out the power tools!

Lisa! said:
arildno said:
Lisa! has a fascination for !'s.
Personally, I don't see the problem with that.
Thank you esp. because you didn't forget to put "!" in my username!
You're missing out on something even better than the exclamation point (can you possibly believe that).

You're missing out on the interrobang - - much more expressive than a mere exclamation point. Example - Lisa How could you ever pass up a chance to use such a cool symbol

BobG said:
You're missing out on something even better than the exclamation point (can you possibly believe that).

You're missing out on the interrobang - - much more expressive than a mere exclamation point. Example - Lisa How could you ever pass up a chance to use such a cool symbol
But my, what an adorable bend it has

Moonbear said:
:rofl: Is there an established equation for predicting the effects of job dilation?
Yes, but you don't need it. You have already demonstrated an intuitive grasp of the transformation.
It would be really helpful when determining how long a job will actually take compared with how long the contractor says it will take.
Involving a contractor requires multiplication of the whole thing by a constant known as The Vila-Abrams Constant. They once explained this on an episode of This Old House in the late 1980s, but I neglected to write it down.

Wolram, don't you have a sawzall? Mine has 6 different blade attachmens. Good for cast iron, steel, cement, plaster and lath..geez just about anything. And if that dosen't work time for the mini-jack hammer. A person can't have too many power tools :smile:

My first ever plumbing job began as "attach water inlet to tap on sink" and ended as "take all plumbing back to single water inlet from mains and re-plumb all kitchen AND bathroom"! (sorry had to put them there)
This involved many hours on the phone to woolie and discussions of how much ptfe tape is too much? Can you cover a complete joint in silicon sealant and hope for the best? Does it make a difference if you put a metric olive on an imperial pipe? Do you really need to clean the cut pipe with wire wool? Does it make a difference?

My guesses at daddy's answers, based upon his account of a simple plumbing job:

*Kia* said:
Can you cover a complete joint in silicon sealant and hope for the best?
Of course you can! That's what it's made for! Just make sure you use the black stuff so you can't see the imperfections.

Does it make a difference if you put a metric olive on an imperial pipe?
Does it look about the right size? Near enough is good enough!

Do you really need to clean the cut pipe with wire wool? Does it make a difference?

No, and no. Just make sure you over-tighten all the fittings to push the burrs back into the copper. That'll learn it.

http://www.secondtoughest.com/images/pics/interrobang.gif

BRILLIANT! or should I say‽‽‽

Last edited by a moderator:
zoobyshoe said:
Involving a contractor requires multiplication of the whole thing by a constant known as The Vila-Abrams Constant. They once explained this on an episode of This Old House in the late 1980s, but I neglected to write it down.
Oh well, I'll just continue multiplying by pi; it seems to have worked well so far. :biggrin:

brewnog said:
My guesses at daddy's answers, based upon his account of a simple plumbing job:

Of course you can! That's what it's made for! Just make sure you use the black stuff so you can't see the imperfections.

Does it look about the right size? Near enough is good enough!

No, and no. Just make sure you over-tighten all the fittings to push the burrs back into the copper. That'll learn it.
Makes note: don't ask Brewnog for plumbing advice. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
Makes note: don't ask Brewnog for plumbing advice. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised you haven't already got a note which says "don't ask Brewnog for advice, full stop."

Wait, someone else should have said that...

BobG said:

I have nothing to say but evil Bob! I love ! and if anybody ever disrespect my !, :devil: :grumpy:

Lisa! said:
I have nothing to say but evil Bob! I love ! and if anybody ever disrespect my !, :devil: :grumpy:
There are no evil Bobs. Just ask MIH. Don't you keep up with the threads in this forum?

BobG said:
There are no evil Bobs. Just ask MIH. Don't you keep up with the threads in this forum?
You mean I deny the sun because of what others say!

Moonbear said:
When all else fails and you can't do the job by hand, get out the power tools!

Exactly, an angle grinder with cutting disc, chopping through two, plumbers
block bearings, sparks flying every where, pete asked ,"are you smoking",
and i said," do you think i can grind and smoke while under a machine", then
i realized my overalls were on fire, 30mins cutting and the bearings were off,
pete said, "you have done that good, look you hardly kissed the shaft", i looked
down at the burn hole in my overalls and though i was lucky to still have
mine, just another day for the poor old engineer,