Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Little(?) problem

1. May 1, 2010 #1
    Hi everyone,

I’m studying the correction of an exercise and I there are some points I can’t see:
    In this exercise, we introduce a irrational x and function f so that f(kx)=kx-[kx] with k an integer included in the interval [0,N].

It is said that f has N+1 values (Ok) that are included in the intervals [i/N,(i+1)/N] for i integers included in [0,N-1]… I can’t see this last point. If anyone could help me understand this point…

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2010 #2
    [itex]y-[y]\in [0,1][/itex]
    [itex]\cup\{[i/N,i+1/N]:i\in \mathbb{Z}\cap [0,N-1]\}=[0,1][/itex].
    Is it saying anything more than that?

4. May 2, 2010 #3
    Nothing else, they just say that for each k integer included in [0,N], x an irrational, there exists an i integer included in [0,N-1] so that f(kx) is included in the interval [i/N,(i+1)/N] (and then, for the rest of the exercise, since there are N+1 values and N intervals, there are two values included in the same [i/N,(i+1)/N]).

But I don't know why f(kx) is included in [i/N,(i+1)/N]...

5. May 2, 2010 #4
    It's not saying f(kx) is included in any particular [i/N,(i+1)/N], only that it's somewhere in [0,1] and since the sets [i/N,(i+1)/N] cover the whole of [0,1] it's got to be in one of them.

6. May 2, 2010 #5
    Ok Martin I got it. (In fact, the important in this exercise is that there exists two values k1 and k2 so that abs(f(k1x)-f(k2x))<=1/N.)

Thanks very much!!

7. May 2, 2010 #6
    Yes I guessed that. Glad to be of help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook