1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Little(?) problem

1. May 1, 2010 #1
    Hi everyone,

I’m studying the correction of an exercise and I there are some points I can’t see:
    In this exercise, we introduce a irrational x and function f so that f(kx)=kx-[kx] with k an integer included in the interval [0,N].

It is said that f has N+1 values (Ok) that are included in the intervals [i/N,(i+1)/N] for i integers included in [0,N-1]… I can’t see this last point. If anyone could help me understand this point…

Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2010 #2
    [itex]y-[y]\in [0,1][/itex]
    [itex]\cup\{[i/N,i+1/N]:i\in \mathbb{Z}\cap [0,N-1]\}=[0,1][/itex].
    Is it saying anything more than that?
  4. May 2, 2010 #3
    Nothing else, they just say that for each k integer included in [0,N], x an irrational, there exists an i integer included in [0,N-1] so that f(kx) is included in the interval [i/N,(i+1)/N] (and then, for the rest of the exercise, since there are N+1 values and N intervals, there are two values included in the same [i/N,(i+1)/N]).

But I don't know why f(kx) is included in [i/N,(i+1)/N]...
  5. May 2, 2010 #4
    It's not saying f(kx) is included in any particular [i/N,(i+1)/N], only that it's somewhere in [0,1] and since the sets [i/N,(i+1)/N] cover the whole of [0,1] it's got to be in one of them.
  6. May 2, 2010 #5
    Ok Martin I got it. (In fact, the important in this exercise is that there exists two values k1 and k2 so that abs(f(k1x)-f(k2x))<=1/N.)

Thanks very much!!
  7. May 2, 2010 #6
    Yes I guessed that. Glad to be of help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook