Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Little things

1. Mar 10, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I just bought an SD card for my camera, talk about things getting smaller i could hardly hold the big bit that the little bit had to be pushed into, now i am baffled is it the big bit that holds the 1 gig memory or the little bit, if it is the little bit why have the big bit, or is that for people like me who have difficulty holding little bits?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have a mini-SD with an adaptor to make it a full size SD, the data is in the mini bit.
    Apparently the already too small for adults to use SD card was too big for cell phones/MP3 players so there was aneed for a smaller system!

Soon accesories are going to have to come with a microscope so you can find them!

4. Mar 10, 2008 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You must have some kind of an adapter. The SD card itself is just a half-inch square piece of plastic, enclosing a chip and some gold contacts.

- Warren

5. Mar 10, 2008 #4
    mgb_phys is right, I have a mini-SD that fits in my cell phone and then has an adapter so it can be used with a computer that has a standard SD reader.

6. Mar 10, 2008 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I just upload all my pictures from my cell phone to the personal website that my cell phone provider gives me and it also e-mails the picture to me at the same time. That way I don't have to take the teeny card in and out of my phone to put the pictures on my computer. I just select "upload pictures" and bam, it's done.

7. Mar 10, 2008 #6

wolram

Gold Member

Heck, ok electronics are getting ever more compact but as a storage device that has to be handled surly this is to small, imagine dropping it.

8. Mar 10, 2008 #7
    If your camera connects to a computer via a USB cable there's probably never any reason to remove it once you've put the chip in the camera - it's just extra memory.

Yeah, they're definitely getting super-small; I think the idea is more to make the devices the cards fit into (like cell phones) smaller, rather than the cards themselves.

9. Mar 10, 2008 #8

Evo

Do you have an option to connect your camera directly to your computer to upload the pictures with a USB cable? I somehow lost my cable when I moved and since I got the cell phone, I haven't bothered using the camera.

Edit: heh, Great Minds Think Alike, CQ is a faster typer.

10. Mar 10, 2008 #9

wolram

Gold Member

The SD card is my last hope of getting my camera to down load to the dreaded Vista, this system should be rated via the diabolo scale.

11. Mar 10, 2008 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You won't damage an SD card by dropping it. The air resistance will slow it down enough.

- Warren

12. Mar 10, 2008 #11

Evo

The damage will occur when he steps on it trying to find it.

13. Mar 10, 2008 #12
    But that's going to happen to the contact lenses, which you need to find back first to have a chance to find the micro SD card.

Anyway, my experience with camera's directly hooking up to the computer is that loading goes two orders of magnitude slower than when the card is directly put into the computer.

14. Mar 10, 2008 #13
    Get used to it. It's called large scale smallness. Pretty soon they'll put the universe in a grain of sand.

15. Mar 10, 2008 #14

wolram

Gold Member

If you mean electronics i would agree, but as for the universe ? i doubt if even the orders of magnitude are scientific.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?