Why Was Polonium Used to Poison Alexander Litvinenko?

• News
  • Thread starter Vals509
  • Start date
In summary, the Russian government wanted to make sure that the public knew how Alexander Litvinenko died, who killed him, and why.
Vals509
I was wondering why is it that the late Alexander Litvinenko was posioned by polonium of all substances. i mean why couldn't the assassins have used other poisons. surely they knew that usage of polonium would be extremely controversial and get highly publicised
just wondering...

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps that was exactly the point.

but why would the russians want a whole lot of attention over a MURDER of a HIGH PROFILE EX RUSSIAN SPY. isn't it rather silly, especially considering the fact that Liitvinenko hated Putin and that if his death is publicised too much, that can raise lots of questions about the cause...

Vals509 said:
but why would the russians want a whole lot of attention over a MURDER of a HIGH PROFILE EX RUSSIAN SPY. isn't it rather silly, especially considering the fact that Liitvinenko hated Putin and that if his death is publicised too much, that can raise lots of questions about the cause...

Message to others: see what happens to you, no matter where, if you work on my nerves ?

Vals509 said:
but why would the russians want a whole lot of attention over a MURDER of a HIGH PROFILE EX RUSSIAN SPY.
Because he was a high profile ex russian spy.
...isn't it rather silly, especially considering the fact that Liitvinenko hated Putin and that if his death is publicised too much, that can raise lots of questions about the cause...
What questions? The point of using polonium was to make sure it was crystal clear as to how he died, who killed him, and why.

Ok. can someone first tell me if the russians want his death publicised or not and why. I set up this thread thinking that they did not want it publicised too much

The message is not to cross the Russian secret service.

Vals509 said:
Ok. can someone first tell me if the russians want his death publicised or not and why. I set up this thread thinking that they did not want it publicised too much

The publicity had little real effect on Russia. On the other hand, everyone knows that if you go turncoat like Litvinenko, you're going to bite the dust. Problem solved, message delivered to future problems, and no real repurcussions.

I still think Britain should have assassinated someone in Russia in retaliaition. Just for lulz

1. Why was polonium used to poison Litvinenko?

Polonium was used to poison Litvinenko because it is a highly radioactive element that is very difficult to detect. It can only be detected by specialized equipment and leaves no trace in the body after a few weeks, making it a perfect choice for an assassination attempt.

2. How was polonium administered to Litvinenko?

It is believed that polonium was administered to Litvinenko through a cup of tea that he drank on November 1, 2006. It is likely that the polonium was dissolved in the tea and then ingested by Litvinenko.

3. Why was Litvinenko targeted for assassination?

Litvinenko was a former Russian spy who had defected to the UK and became a vocal critic of the Russian government. It is believed that he was targeted for assassination for his outspoken criticism and knowledge of the inner workings of the Russian government.

4. What are the effects of polonium poisoning?

The effects of polonium poisoning can vary depending on the amount of exposure. In Litvinenko's case, he experienced severe nausea, vomiting, hair loss, and damage to his internal organs. Polonium can also cause damage to the bone marrow and immune system, leading to a weakened immune system and an increased risk of infection.

5. How was polonium traced back to the perpetrators?

Polonium has a unique fingerprint, and scientists were able to trace the polonium used to poison Litvinenko back to a specific batch produced in a Russian nuclear facility. This, along with other evidence, led to the identification of the perpetrators, two former Russian agents who were allegedly acting on behalf of the Russian government.