Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Litvinenko- why polonium

1. Mar 23, 2009 #1
    I was wondering why is it that the late Alexander Litvinenko was posioned by polonium of all substances. i mean why couldn't the assassins have used other poisons. surely they knew that usage of polonium would be extremely controversial and get highly publicised
    just wondering.....

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Perhaps that was exactly the point.

4. Mar 23, 2009 #3
    but why would the russians want a whole lot of attention over a MURDER of a HIGH PROFILE EX RUSSIAN SPY. isn't it rather silly, especially considering the fact that Liitvinenko hated Putin and that if his death is publicised too much, that can raise lots of questions about the cause......

5. Mar 23, 2009 #4

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Message to others: see what happens to you, no matter where, if you work on my nerves ?

6. Mar 23, 2009 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Because he was a high profile ex russian spy.
    What questions? The point of using polonium was to make sure it was crystal clear as to how he died, who killed him, and why.

7. Mar 24, 2009 #6
    Ok. can someone first tell me if the russians want his death publicised or not and why. I set up this thread thinking that they did not want it publicised too much

8. Mar 24, 2009 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The message is not to cross the Russian secret service.

9. Mar 24, 2009 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The publicity had little real effect on Russia. On the other hand, everyone knows that if you go turncoat like Litvinenko, you're gonna bite the dust. Problem solved, message delivered to future problems, and no real repurcussions.

I still think Britain should have assassinated someone in Russia in retaliaition. Just for lulz

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook