Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Live 8

1. Jul 2, 2005 #1

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, who watched any of it?

I was vaguely enjoying most of the London afternoon, Sir Elton was rather entertaining, and The Who and Coldplay were pretty good too, and a surprise appearance from Richard Ashcroft, who'da thunk it? I caught a bit of Faithless in Berlin, but sadly the Germans didn't seem to get it (no, just put one finger in the air, and shout "one", ok? no? oh, sod it!). I'm wondering what the US are going to make of the Kaiser Chiefs...

But for me, the highlight was Pink Floyd's astounding reunion, how good was that?!

So, who's signed the petition?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh man... I dont like to watch dillusional people.

Anyone else think its kinda weird that a bunch of millionaires are telling other people to deal with poverty?

And that they did this before and it didnt work....

4. Jul 2, 2005 #3
    well liek some people say y ou gotta keep on trying..

www.live8live.com

5. Jul 2, 2005 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Urrrm, David Gilmour just sold his £3.6 million house, and gave the proceeds to the cause.

It did a lot of good, I don't think anyone will argue with that.

6. Jul 2, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Really? "Poverty is at an all time high" is all i hear from people. Really working eh...

And lets see... do you REALLY want me to go through and find out the assets these people have? And doesnt the fact that he had a house that expensive in the first place show you a little something?

7. Jul 2, 2005 #6

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's helping, I don't see how you can question that.

Urm yes, perhaps something to do with him being a very successful musician? What's that got to do with it anyway? These people have all been working for free to organise and run an absolutely massive event, when was the last time you did that?

Anyway, that's not the point. It's my thread, and I won't tolerate misery gutses! There's a reason I posted this in GD and not Politics, and there's a reason why the OP content was about the concerts and not the cause.

8. Jul 2, 2005 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I remember the scandal from the last "celebrity" money raising event, 95% of the money went to "compensate" and "accomodate" the celebrities, they weren't "paid" but their airfare, hotels, limos, food, makeup artists, clothing etc...were all paid for out of the money raised, their promoters, all the people associated with "the cause", almost no money got into the hands of the people the money was raised for, but lots of free press for the "celebrities". :rolleyes:

Not to mention the huge tax write off for their "performances".

9. Jul 2, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Your right, this argument is better suited for a different thread.

10. Jul 2, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hadn't even heard of it until this thread. :rolleyes:

What do you mean about the Kaiser Chiefs? I like their music. Is there something crazy they did or something?

11. Jul 2, 2005 #10
    It wasnt about raising money though, live 8 was different to live aid because live 8 has set out to put pressure on the G8 summit to do something about it. It would be almost impossible to raise enough money and to do the right things with it to make a difference to Africa. The people that can make a difference are the leaders of the G8 and its about time they actually did something about it. I thought pink floyd where pretty boring, the Who where awesome though.

12. Jul 2, 2005 #11
    can't believe that even england and germany had better acts then canada...

13. Jul 2, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, hmmm...I wonder if that's the concert being televised here now? We have Nascar on one channel, some show about a lawyer bribing judges or something on another channel, and a concert on the third channel. I just turned off the TV to sit outside to eat dinner (the TV was on while I was cooking...I wasn't paying much attention since I was walking in and out to the grill and reading stuff here while it was on).

14. Jul 2, 2005 #13
    ok the hyde park show was pretty much untouchable, but canada's lineup was awesome. tragically hip, barenaked ladies, neil young, etc are all canadian legends. neil young wrote the perfect song for an occasion like this also, keep on rocking in the free world. he wrote it to mock george bush sr ("thousand points of light for the homeless man") but the message is still relevent today. it's too bad sarah mclachlan played philadelphia instead of barrie.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?