Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Live!(except on the West coast)

1. Feb 19, 2006 #1

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was sitting here with the Olympics playing in the background and thinking that how in four years, when they are held in Vancouver BC, we won't have to worry about hearing the results before the events are televised, as we will get them "live".

And then I realized that, even then, those of us on the West coast still won't get live coverage. It doesn't matter that the Olympics will take place in the same time zone as we are in, we will get it "tape-delayed". :grumpy:

In fact, just about anytime you see "LIVE", in the corner of the screen, it isn't "LIVE" for the West Coast.

Sometimes I think that the Chinese could be landing on the beaches of Oregon and we would hear about it on three hour tape delay.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2006 #2

Mk

Its not live for us either. We get actually get the same live though for california.

4. Feb 20, 2006 #3
    Well according Einstien it isn't live anywhere theortically It still takes time for those Images to get up to your televison.:biggrin:

5. Feb 20, 2006 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So you haven't heard...comrade?

6. Feb 20, 2006 #5
    We need to sperd the word...http://www.google.com/search?hl=zh-...vasion+of+oregon,united+states+of+america&lr=
    Lets see here does anyone elese no where to find a advance-particle beam acteltor atomic ion beam cannon gravity lancher

7. Feb 20, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, if you'd all just wake up 3 hours earlier, you could be in synch with us East Coasters. :biggrin:

8. Feb 20, 2006 #7

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, considering the time I usually get up in the morning, I'm probably awake before many East-Coasters as it is.
    But then, since the networks seem to assume that everyone works "Banker's hours", and schedule their Olympic Broadcast to last until Midnight, and save all the major competition results until towards the end of the Broadcast, I'd have to operate on about 4 hrs of sleep a night. :zzz:

Besides, If we were going to make everyone in the US adapt to one time-zone, wouldn't it make sense to split the difference and choose Central?

Oops, Gotta go. There's some oriental guy in a uniform at the door asking for my "papers".

9. Feb 20, 2006 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Personally, I'd prefer if everyone operated on Pacific time. I could handle sleeping 3 hours later every day (oh, who am I kidding, I live on Pacific time anyway; I could never survive the corporate world where they expect everyone to start and end the day at the same time).

10. Feb 20, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

这是一美好的天在俄勒冈

11. Feb 20, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:bugeye: I think you just insulted all of our Chinese members. :rofl: (I'm kidding...but do you even know what you posted?)

12. Feb 20, 2006 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course: "This is one happy day in Oregon" :biggrin:

13. Feb 20, 2006 #12
    you are lying

14. Feb 20, 2006 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No I'm not. Why do you say that?

15. Feb 20, 2006 #14
    because I was trying to look like I knew chinese

16. Feb 20, 2006 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How does one look when they know Chinese?

17. Feb 20, 2006 #16
    on average, a little bit shorter than me and with squintier eyes and dark hair.

18. Feb 20, 2006 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have beady eyes?

19. Feb 21, 2006 #18

Lisa!

Gold Member

天汉语/漢語客家!:devil:

20. Feb 21, 2006 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

许多这里是芬兰人

那是最佳我能做

21. Feb 21, 2006 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

我不了解

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?