Live!(except on the West coast)

• Thread starter Janus
  • Start date
Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I was sitting here with the Olympics playing in the background and thinking that how in four years, when they are held in Vancouver BC, we won't have to worry about hearing the results before the events are televised, as we will get them "live".

And then I realized that, even then, those of us on the West coast still won't get live coverage. It doesn't matter that the Olympics will take place in the same time zone as we are in, we will get it "tape-delayed". :grumpy:

In fact, just about anytime you see "LIVE", in the corner of the screen, it isn't "LIVE" for the West Coast.

Sometimes I think that the Chinese could be landing on the beaches of Oregon and we would hear about it on three hour tape delay.

Answers and Replies

Mk
Its not live for us either. We get actually get the same live though for california.

Well according Einstien it isn't live anywhere theortically It still takes time for those Images to get up to your televison.:biggrin:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Janus said:
Sometimes I think that the Chinese could be landing on the beaches of Oregon and we would hear about it on three hour tape delay.
So you haven't heard...comrade?

Ivan Seeking said:
Janus said:
So you haven't heard...comrade?
We need to sperd the word...http://www.google.com/search?hl=zh-...vasion+of+oregon,united+states+of+america&lr=
Lets see here does anyone elese no where to find a advance-particle beam acteltor atomic ion beam cannon gravity lancher

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Janus said:
I was sitting here with the Olympics playing in the background and thinking that how in four years, when they are held in Vancouver BC, we won't have to worry about hearing the results before the events are televised, as we will get them "live".

And then I realized that, even then, those of us on the West coast still won't get live coverage. It doesn't matter that the Olympics will take place in the same time zone as we are in, we will get it "tape-delayed". :grumpy:

In fact, just about anytime you see "LIVE", in the corner of the screen, it isn't "LIVE" for the West Coast.

Well, if you'd all just wake up 3 hours earlier, you could be in synch with us East Coasters. :biggrin:

Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
Well, if you'd all just wake up 3 hours earlier, you could be in synch with us East Coasters. :biggrin:
Well, considering the time I usually get up in the morning, I'm probably awake before many East-Coasters as it is.
But then, since the networks seem to assume that everyone works "Banker's hours", and schedule their Olympic Broadcast to last until Midnight, and save all the major competition results until towards the end of the Broadcast, I'd have to operate on about 4 hrs of sleep a night. :zzz:

Besides, If we were going to make everyone in the US adapt to one time-zone, wouldn't it make sense to split the difference and choose Central?

Oops, Gotta go. There's some oriental guy in a uniform at the door asking for my "papers".

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Personally, I'd prefer if everyone operated on Pacific time. I could handle sleeping 3 hours later every day (oh, who am I kidding, I live on Pacific time anyway; I could never survive the corporate world where they expect everyone to start and end the day at the same time).

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
这是一美好的天在俄勒冈

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
:bugeye: I think you just insulted all of our Chinese members. :rofl: (I'm kidding...but do you even know what you posted?)

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Of course: "This is one happy day in Oregon" :biggrin:

you are lying

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
No I'm not. Why do you say that?

because I was trying to look like I knew chinese

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How does one look when they know Chinese?

on average, a little bit shorter than me and with squintier eyes and dark hair.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You have beady eyes?

Lisa!
Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
这是一美好的天在俄勒冈
天汉语/漢語客家!:devil:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
许多这里是芬兰人

那是最佳我能做

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

我不了解

Lisa!
Gold Member
毛澤台北東
这两个字是什么意!:smile:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So you are saying that we have Chinese-Italian Hakkas running a wool business in Oregon. :biggrin:

Lisa!
Gold Member
If I wanted everyone knew that, I could simply say that in English!:grumpy:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
我是狗 :cry: :cry: :cry:

Lisa!
Gold Member
You have to :cry: more when you recieve warning for hijacking 1 of the mentor's thread! :biggrin: