Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Live for Now or for the Future?

1. now

1 vote(s)
  2. the future

3 vote(s)
  1. Oct 10, 2006 #1
    Someone says "live every moment as if you are going to die tomorrow or in a second" while someone says "if you don't have a plan, you don't have a life"
    Do you live and try to enjoy this moment for its own sake more or for the future more?

By the way, in case you may find it helpfull to your life, Confucius says " You find the Truth in the morning, and it becomes no big deal for you to die in the afternoon"
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2
    I think 'Living for now, because you could die in the next second' is fairly pessimistic, it's also terribly inconsiderate of other people. I live for the future, everything I do now is so later on it will be good for me, my family, and any others who may benefit from any research I do (I'm being optimistic that I become a researcher =p).
  4. Oct 11, 2006 #3
    I say a healthy mix of both..

Do the things you want to do today, but don't get reckless or stupid.

A little tiny bit off topic but I thought it fit..
    I say every man must find his own path to what he finds is true happiness, some people can't help but be reckless and live like they're going to die in 5 minutes, and if that truly makes them happy then that's ok.

As long as you are not lying to yourself and you feel you have found something that's not a waste of time..

For me personally I don't see the OP's options as mutually exclusive, more like I just have to use my reasoning and judgement to trust my feelings and do what I feel is right for me, which usually includes considering others that are affected as well..
  5. Oct 11, 2006 #4
    Although I had only one option to choose I agree with Octelco. Nothing in life is separate from the next thing so its practical to remain mindful of all the options.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?