Living in a Basement? Potential Negative Effects

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
In summary, living in a basement can have some negative consequences, such as bad air, radon, and vitamin D deficiency, but it's not always a bad thing. Central ventilation is important, and costs money to install if not done correctly. Lead bricks can help cancel out the negative effects of living in a basement.
tgt
Provided that it's not a basement for storing chemical nor nuclear substances, are there any negative consequences of living in a basement (with no windows)?

One thing that comes to mind is bad air.

Physics news on Phys.org
Radon.

If there's a flood, your room's the first to go?
You still live with your folks (which may or may not be negative consequence) unless you live in the basement of someone else's house, which is a little weird.
Vitamin D deficiency, but that would probably only be if you were down there for a good couple of years and never came out (whereby vitamin D deficiency would probably be the least of your worries.
Too much CO2, you'd have to ventilate the basement somehow.

Sherlock Holmes lived in a basement.

Mould... if you weren't allergic to mould before living in a basement, you can become sensitized and develop fungal allergies. haachoo..

Before we were married, my husband rented a furnished basement apartment in MD while he was on a sabbatical.

Often the heating systems in basement apartments just aren't up to par (I found this to be the case, but since we were always suglling when I visited...). The humidity can be a bit bad (besides the aforementioned possibility of flooding, depending on the location). Ventilation might have some issues (if there's a kitchen or untrained pet, etc... or again that radon gas issue). In my experience, poor ventilation also contributed to the humidity levels (since there was a shower in the basement that we used).

No windows (or insufficient windows) could also lead to seasonal affective disorder.

I would personally never choose to rent an apartment in a basement long term.

No windows at all? Hmmm...better hope there's never a fire.

I don't think it's legal to rent out a basement apartment if it has no windows at all.

If it is legal, still, that would be pretty dreary and depressing. There would definitely need to be added ventillation to ensure you're getting fresh air. If the furnace is on the same level as your apartment, you'd also have to worry about carbon monoxide if there isn't adequate ventillation.

+1 for radon gas, depending on your geography.

If one need Sun light, why not just take a stroll ? If I have my books, I can live in a basement. Some mathematicians create their life-time master piece in prison.

humanino said:
If one need Sun light, why not just take a stroll ? If I have my books, I can live in a basement. Some mathematicians create their life-time master piece in prison.

Provided they don't mind the noise. Perfection would be if they were in an isolated room with noise sealed walls. But they they must have committed a really big crime.

kasse said:
Radon.

Where would that come from?

Gravitational time dilation. You don't get as much time to sleep.

tgt said:
Where would that come from?
Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that seeps out of the ground and you either have it or you don't. If you have it, you take steps to abate it and then it isn't an issue anymore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radon

Oh come on, these issues are easily soluble.

One thing that comes to mind is bad air.
Central ventilation.
Radon.
Again, a non-issue with proper ventilation.
If there's a flood, your room's the first to go?
Storm drains.
Vitamin D deficiency
Vitamin pills.
Mould...
Ventilation, dehumidifiers, HEPA filters, bleach.
Gravitational time dilation.
If it's that important to you, you can cancel out the (tiny) effect with a few dozen lead bricks.

signerror said:
Central ventilation.

Again, a non-issue with proper ventilation.

Costs money if not installed or not correctly installed

signerror said:
Storm drains.
Don't help much in major floods, and excludes possible flooding from inside the house if a pipe leaks or there is a plumbing problem

signerror said:
Vitamin pills.
sure, but that one was more of a joke (you only need a few minutes of sun every day to generate the RDA of vitamin D in your body.)

signerror said:
Ventilation, dehumidifiers, HEPA filters, bleach.
All cost money that could be perhaps better used renting or buying a nicer appartment

signerror said:
If it's that important to you, you can cancel out the (tiny) effect with a few dozen lead bricks.
Think that one was a joke too... :rolleyes:

... the expense of lead bricks needed to get a good night's sleep.

:wink:

A basement with no windows, or even small ones... that's going to be one messed up circadian rhythm.

Much quieter, can't hear barking dogs, loud neighbors, traffic, etc. Great place to read, study, sleep. You can turn up the music and not bother your neighbors.

Hopefully the rent is less. Sign a short lease if possible. Make sure the landlord is responsible for issues related to radon, mold, flooding...and check for ANY indications of pests/infestations prior to signing.

1. What are the potential health risks of living in a basement?

The most common health risks associated with living in a basement include mold and mildew growth, poor air circulation, and exposure to radon gas. Mold and mildew can cause respiratory issues and aggravate allergies, while poor air circulation can lead to a build-up of pollutants and allergens. Radon gas is a colorless and odorless gas that can seep into basements from the soil and can increase the risk of lung cancer.

2. Are there any psychological effects of living in a basement?

Some people may experience psychological effects from living in a basement, such as feeling isolated or claustrophobic. The lack of natural light and limited access to the outside world can also contribute to feelings of depression and anxiety. It is important to ensure that the basement is well-lit and has proper ventilation to help alleviate these potential effects.

3. Can living in a basement affect the overall value of a property?

In most cases, living in a basement can decrease the overall value of a property. This is because basements are typically not considered as livable space and may be seen as a less desirable living area compared to the rest of the house. However, if the basement is finished and used as a functional living space, it may not have as much of an impact on the property's value.

4. Are there any fire hazards associated with living in a basement?

Basements can pose a higher risk of fire hazards compared to other parts of the house. This is because basements often have more electrical wiring and appliances, which can increase the likelihood of a fire. Additionally, if the basement is not properly maintained, it may have a build-up of clutter and debris that can fuel a fire.

5. How can I make living in a basement more comfortable and safe?

To make living in a basement more comfortable and safe, it is important to address any potential health risks, such as addressing mold and mildew and ensuring proper ventilation. Additionally, investing in proper insulation, lighting, and plumbing can make the basement more livable. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the basement to prevent any potential hazards, such as fire hazards or water damage.