Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Living in newyork

1. Feb 15, 2006 #1
    Let's make a plan,
    work for a compnay, salary is $2600/month.
    apartment rent = $750
    electricity, water, internet, transport fee = $750
    food = $ 600
    others = $140
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    left = $ 360
    ----------------------------

If that is that little left, how can I build a house with my own library.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2006 #2
    You can't. Welcome to the middle class my friend.

4. Feb 15, 2006 #3
    u misunderstood, i not belong to middle class, i guess i much lower
    How can a newly graduated student get higher salary ? like $5000/month

5. Feb 15, 2006 #4
    You have to find a good job, which can be done by having a better education. But all that is variable depending on your skill set and the demand for those skills.

6. Feb 15, 2006 #5
    What you mean means there are jobs paid higher than $5000 for brandnew students ? I guess they be bank-robbery

7. Feb 15, 2006 #6
    Know of any students that have spare money? Please point them out, I know I don't, and I'm not trying to live in Manhattan.

8. Feb 15, 2006 #7
    ===Agree===
    Unable to buy something to eat is terrible,

9. Feb 15, 2006 #8
    God, that takes me back to when I just got out of college. It's when I invented "poor man's spaghetti": ramen noodles with ketchup. (You pilfer the ketchup packets from fast food restaurants. Have to buy the ramen noodles, though.)

10. Feb 15, 2006 #9

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Are you talking about living in the city? If so and you find an apartment for $750 a month, you have struck gold.

Coming from someone who just moved from there, I say with 90% certainty that unless you have a kickass job lined up, you will not be able to "get ahead" and save for a house while living there. The market is so competetive there that it is insane. If you are planning on moving there, I'd give you two, two word options to think hard about; New Jersey and Long Island.

11. Feb 15, 2006 #10
    Cheapest rent in NYC in Manhattan is 1000 bucks for a matchbox studio, 1500 + for a nicer place. (Although sometimes utilities are included). Try getting roomates if you can, then ya can split the rent. Either that or consider the barrios, which are considerably cheaper.

12. Feb 15, 2006 #11
    Thank you CosminaPrisma:blushing:

I move to ny because i like all of you, my american guys. you always have neat ideas about all funny stuff, that makes me laugh all the time. pople here, in guantamela gives me no real laugh, only fake ones.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?