Living in Space: Exploring Immortality Through Technology

• B
  • Thread starter Docscientist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of living in space and achieving immortality. While it is believed that we do age in space and face potential health hazards, there is also a discussion about the possibility of developing technology to overcome these challenges and achieve immortality. However, there are also considerations about the transfer of consciousness into a machine and the concept of age being defined by time. The conversation is eventually closed due to it becoming off-topic.
Docscientist
If we don't age in space,why can't we live there and make ourselves immortal ? Surely,We'd develope enough technology for that,I believe ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Docscientist said:
If we don't age in space,why can't we live there and make ourselves immortal ? Surely,We'd develope enough technology for that,I believe ?

If we didn't age in space then any baby born in space would remain a new-born baby forever!

Although, if we didn't age at all, it's difficult to see how any baby could be born; it would remain a foetus (or a fertilised egg) forever.

Docscientist said:
If we don't age in space
But we do. Where did you read something to the contrary?

The health effects, long and short term, of living in a micro-G environment are complex and slowly being revealed, albeit sporadically and incrementally.

While the lack of Earth's gravity can allow for much less wear and tear on certain joints and less stress on various parts and processes, there are a whole host of potential negative health issues, many of which are not fully understood. Muscular atrophy is a serious problem, and can be reduced with careful exercise regimens, but so far not eliminated. Long term cardiological effects are not fully understood. Apparently, without a normal 24 hour night/day cycle, the human metabolic process seems to gravitate to a 26 hour cycle. (please note, these remarks are from memory, but I can seek out citations if desired).

Protection/shielding from radiation is another major concern.

Recently, astronaut Scott Kelly returned from a record setting long stay on the ISS and the effects of his time there on his anatomy and physiology are being studied in comparison to the recorded physical properties of his identical twin (also an astronaut) brother Mark Kelly (who remained ashore). This should provide an unprecedented opportunity to study the effects of long term micro-G exposure against something approaching an isolated control. Hardly a broadly rigorous statistical sampling, but it is a start.

The chapter on the health effects of micro-G habitation is just beginning to be written, but it is clearly complex and full of many hazards.

diogenesNY

If being in space has any effect on ageing, it's more likely to cause symptoms of ageing more quickly.
As diogenesNY pointed out micro gravity, the absense of a normal day-night cycle, radiation, etc, subject a body to unusual stresses, and that is not likely to make a person live longer.

rootone said:
If being in space has any effect on ageing, it's more likely to cause symptoms of ageing more quickly.
As diogenesNY pointed out micro gravity, the absense of a normal day-night cycle, radiation, etc, subject a body to unusual stresses, and that is not likely to make a person live longer.
Why can't we build a super Dooper spaceship that has all the amenities and can resist all the problems that we might face in space ? Just like how it was in a movie named "2012" How long do you think it might take for us to achieve that ?

PeroK said:
If we didn't age in space then any baby born in space would remain a new-born baby forever!

Although, if we didn't age at all, it's difficult to see how any baby could be born; it would remain a foetus (or a fertilised egg) forever.
Why should we give birth to babies when we are immortal ? I mean you won't need anybody to support you.Moreover,there are contraceptive methods that can help us in space.

Docscientist said:
In order to understand what age really is, you have to first come to the realization that you are nothing more than an insanely complicated chemical reaction. Those chemical reactions that make you you, don't care if you're on Earth or floating though space.

I ask you this question: how old is your body? It depends on what part of you you are talking about, the cells of your skin, stomach, bones, blood... are all very different ages.

The only possibility for immortality is to transfer your consciousness into a machine, which I think is possible, but way way way harder than people think it will be.

Likes 1oldman2
newjerseyrunner said:
I ask you this question: how old is your body? It depends on what part of you you are talking about, the cells of your skin, stomach, bones, blood... are all very different ages.
The only possibility for immortality is to transfer your consciousness into a machine, which I think is possible, but way way way harder than people think it will be.
Naturally,we all define age on the basis of time.I believe that all my organs came into existence at one point of time and that is when I was born.So the amount of years spent by each part of my body is the same which means they all should be of the same age.
Coming to the second point,I really like that idea.But machines can also be destroyed easily.Secondly,where do you think consciousness exists ? Is it something like our soul ?

This thread has degenerated, and is closed for now.

1. What is space exploration and why is it important?

Space exploration is the act of sending spacecraft or humans into outer space to gather information about the universe. It is important because it allows us to learn more about our solar system, galaxy, and beyond, which can lead to technological advancements and a better understanding of our place in the universe.

2. Can humans survive in space for an extended period of time?

Yes, with the help of technology and proper training, humans can survive in space for an extended period of time. In fact, astronauts on the International Space Station have been living in space for months or even years at a time.

3. How does living in space affect human health?

Living in space can have both positive and negative effects on human health. The lack of gravity can cause muscle and bone loss, while the increased exposure to radiation can lead to an increased risk of cancer. However, the unique environment of space can also provide opportunities for medical and technological advancements, such as the development of new treatments for bone and muscle loss.

4. Is it possible for humans to achieve immortality through technology in space?

While achieving true immortality may not be possible, technology in space can potentially extend human life by providing access to resources and medical advancements that may not be available on Earth. For example, advancements in cryogenics and regenerative medicine could potentially prolong human life and potentially lead to the ability to transfer human consciousness to a robotic body.

5. What are the potential ethical concerns surrounding living in space and exploring immortality through technology?

The main ethical concerns surrounding living in space and exploring immortality through technology include the potential for unequal access to resources and the potential for creating a class of immortal beings who are superior to those who cannot afford or do not have access to these technologies. There are also concerns about the impact on Earth and its resources if a large number of people were to permanently leave for space.