Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Living in the Multiverse

1. Nov 4, 2005 #1

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Living in the Multiverse by Steven Weinberg

My thoughts exactly - well I'm not so sure I'll bet the dog!

Show me one and I'll believe you.

Garth

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2005 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Kinda wrecks the entire concept of a 'universe' when you admit to more than one of them.

4. Nov 4, 2005 #3
    I don’t think anyone’s forcing you to believe in multiple universes, many physicists seem to be working on a variety of different cosmological models, the multiverse paradigm seems to be one a lot of physicists and cosmologists think deserves their time perusing.

What’s more the same could be said of strings in string theory, “show me one and I’ll believe you”, hasn’t stop string theorists perusing this field of physics for the last 30 years.

5. Nov 4, 2005 #4

Labguy

Science Advisor

Yes, and 30 years of little success I think. Even the "Grand Proponent", Brian Greene, spends a significant portion of his books appologizing, in effect, for the fact that it will probably never be "testable" and for having to use math of probabilities and infinities. But, those Calabi-Yau Loops make neat graphics in the books....:biggrin:

6. Nov 4, 2005 #5
    The other major issue with string theory, apart from lacking testable predictions, is that it’s promoted with public money and has persuaded a generation of researchers to work in a field of physics which has had very little success.

7. Nov 4, 2005 #6
    What?! Overwhelming evidence for purpose and design? That’s a rather strong statement, I’d say similar to those of ID proponents. Seriously, the Catholic church is just as anti-science as the Evangelical Christian fundamentalists, only they hide it a little better. If it’s not Neo-Darwinism, it’s now Anthropic arguments.

Here's the New York Times op-ed article by Christoph Schonborn, Cardinal
    Archbishop of Vienna.

8. Nov 5, 2005 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

The maddening difficulty in obtaining testable predictions from ST suggests, at least to me, it might be a good idea to put the big picture aside for now and concentrate on fitting smaller pieces of the puzzle together.

9. Nov 5, 2005 #8

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure I like having the same acronym as string theory. :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?