Is Living Near Underground Power Lines Making Me Sick?

In summary, a person has a property with a 3 phase underground power line passing directly underneath their shed, causing them to feel sick while working inside. The symptoms are similar to those described by people living under high voltage power lines, such as nausea, dizziness, fatigue, headaches, and stress. The individual believes that the power line, located 1.2 meters below the ground, may be the cause of their symptoms. However, it is recommended that they see a doctor for proper diagnosis as the belief that power lines cause cancer has been debunked as a hoax.
vornez
I have a property with a 3 phase underground power line. The power line doesn't go near the house but happens to pass directly underneath the shed, which is in the form of a sea container. Whenever I'm working inside the container, I feel sick. The symptoms are similar to those described by people living under high voltage power lines - nausea, dizziness, fatigue
headaches and stress. These symptoms seem to occur most during the day, I just don't feel right. My belief is that the 3 phase power line located 1.2 meters below the ground has something to do with it.

Biology news on Phys.org
If you aren't feeling well, I suggest that you see a doctor, we can not diagnose you.

...but fyi, the "power lines cause cancer" thing was a hoax from the start. A reporter twisted one vague study into a career of fearmongering.

What are the potential health risks of living near power lines?

There is ongoing research on the potential health risks of living near power lines. Some studies suggest that exposure to the electromagnetic fields (EMFs) emitted by power lines may be linked to an increased risk of childhood leukemia, although the evidence is still inconclusive. Other potential health risks include a higher risk of certain types of cancer, neurological disorders, and reproductive issues.

How far away should I live from power lines to be considered safe?

There is no consensus on a specific distance that is considered safe from power lines. However, as a general rule, the closer you are to the power lines, the higher your exposure to EMFs will be. If you are concerned about potential health risks, it may be best to live at least 300 meters away from major power lines.

Are there any precautions I can take to reduce my exposure to EMFs from power lines?

There are a few precautions you can take to reduce your exposure to EMFs from power lines. You can limit the amount of time you spend near power lines, avoid living directly under them, and keep a safe distance from power lines when outdoors. You can also purchase EMF shielding products or consider relocating away from power lines if you are concerned about your exposure.

Do power lines emit other types of radiation besides EMFs?

Yes, power lines also emit electric and magnetic fields which are forms of non-ionizing radiation. These types of radiation are also emitted by other common household items such as cell phones, computers, and microwaves. The level of exposure to these types of radiation from power lines is generally considered to be low and within safe limits.

Are there any regulations in place to protect people living near power lines?

There are a few regulations in place to protect people living near power lines. In most countries, there are guidelines for safe exposure to EMFs. These guidelines are based on the recommendations of international organizations such as the World Health Organization (WHO). Additionally, there may be regulations on the construction and placement of power lines to minimize potential health risks.