Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Living off the land

1. Jul 25, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

No, not farming, but hunter gathering in 2005, could you do it for a month, 2,4,
    6, a year ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2005 #2
    I did, but then some men in blue clothing came and stopped me. They then took me to some people in white clothing who would stick some strange objects with needles in my arm when I got hungry. After which I would get sleepy, sleepy... o:)

4. Jul 25, 2005 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Without other commitments, and with the help of a few others (including the support of landowners, the authorities etc) there are few things which I'd like to do more.

I've done it for about 3 days, I hardly cheated at all. Built my own shelter, found (and purified) my own water, caught my own fish and fruit, and generally had a really nice time. I did use a sleeping bag, and had some essentials which I didn't use, but could have needed (general survival kit stuff, and some emergency food).

5. Jul 25, 2005 #4

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I have wondered what it would be like to go and live alone in the wild glens of Scotland, being completely self reliant, but I don't think I could really do it.

6. Jul 25, 2005 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Did you do this in summer or winter Brewy? There are plenty of munk jacks,
    rabbits, pigeons, pheasant etc, round here, just got to catch
    the beggars.

7. Jul 25, 2005 #6

wolram

Gold Member

You could become a legend, tourists would come and try to get a photo
    of the, "wild man of the glens", have a go ,they might even make a film.

8. Jul 25, 2005 #7

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I think it would be fun for a few weeks or months, just as a learning experience. I wouldn't want to revert back to being a caveman though.

9. Jul 25, 2005 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like to go camping at really nice hotels.

10. Jul 25, 2005 #9
    It must of been those few days he didn't post. :biggrin:

My idea of roughing it is a motel without color TV. I do admire those who can live off the land. Just no interest in it myself.

11. Jul 25, 2005 #10

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

It can be done. Several of my elder paternal kin have lived off the land for periods of time out in the Mojave. There seems to be a decent account in Into the Wild. Even if Chris McCandless wasn't too successful himself and died when he finally got out into the wilderness, Krakauer alludes to many others, whose adventures I'm sure are chronicled somewhere.

12. Jul 25, 2005 #11
    I could do it for as long as I had to. With a few basic tools I could be very comfortable. With just my bare hands, I would still survive using sharp rocks and making fire with sticks.
    There is still enough forrest here for a person to vanish very easily. But darn, I'd sure miss my pillow top bed :cry:

13. Jul 25, 2005 #12

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I could do it for a month, but when I got back, I'd weigh 65 pounds...

14. Jul 25, 2005 #13
    I'm a camping nut, but I'm not sure if I'm that good as of now. I'm sure with a few months of reading and practice I could get to where I could, but I'd be Coyote food if you dropped me out there with nothing right now.

True self sufficiency is hard though. Give me clothes (1 pair of Jeans, a shirt, under clothes, boots, and a jacket), a knife, a hatchet, a roll of high strength twine, two butane lighters, and an emergency MRE just in case I have to hike my butt back to civilization, and I'm set for at least a few days, probably a week. But without those. . .

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  15. Jul 25, 2005 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Is this a revisitation of the 'Survival' thread, Wooley? I was really enjoying that until it veered off into some fictional chain-story. If you can get that sucker back on track, I'd like to see it revived.
    As much as I loathe the concept of dwelling any place where the bugs outnumber the bathrooms, I'm pretty sure that I could survive in any reasonable climate without external aid. It would probably be an ugly, stinky, completely undignified existence, but if the alternative was death I'd make it work.

16. Jul 25, 2005 #15
    i could do it for an extended period of time. i used to be big inot camping. i have 1337 survival skillz

17. Jul 25, 2005 #16

Danger

Gold Member

I didn't realize that they're catalogued. I probably only have a few dozen, but it's enough to stay alive.

18. Jul 25, 2005 #17

Lisa!

Gold Member

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

19. Jul 26, 2005 #18

Danger

Gold Member

If swimming isn't one of his 1337 skills, you just might have done him in. :biggrin:

20. Jul 26, 2005 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was into primitive camping and backpacking from about age 12 on. As a Boy Scout I learned plenty of survival skills. Back in the those days the scouts were all about survival in the wilderness, and we applied those skills frequently, so I probably could have done alright. But now, primitive camping means that I don't have an internet connection.

21. Jul 26, 2005 #20

honestrosewater

Gold Member

What kind of situation are we talking about here? I was imagining having the necessary supplies and being in a relatively safe location, not being dumped naked in the Serengeti.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?