Hunter Gathering in 2005: Could You Survive?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the author did a three day hunting and gathering session in 2005 and had a great time. He did not use any modern conveniences and found everything he needed. He would be able to do it again, but would not enjoy it as much without modern conveniences.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
No, not farming, but hunter gathering in 2005, could you do it for a month, 2,4,
6, a year ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I did, but then some men in blue clothing came and stopped me. They then took me to some people in white clothing who would stick some strange objects with needles in my arm when I got hungry. After which I would get sleepy, sleepy... o:)

Without other commitments, and with the help of a few others (including the support of landowners, the authorities etc) there are few things which I'd like to do more.

I've done it for about 3 days, I hardly cheated at all. Built my own shelter, found (and purified) my own water, caught my own fish and fruit, and generally had a really nice time. I did use a sleeping bag, and had some essentials which I didn't use, but could have needed (general survival kit stuff, and some emergency food).

I have wondered what it would be like to go and live alone in the wild glens of Scotland, being completely self reliant, but I don't think I could really do it.

brewnog said:
Without other commitments, and with the help of a few others (including the support of landowners, the authorities etc) there are few things which I'd like to do more.

I've done it for about 3 days, I hardly cheated at all. Built my own shelter, found (and purified) my own water, caught my own fish and fruit, and generally had a really nice time. I did use a sleeping bag, and had some essentials which I didn't use, but could have needed (general survival kit stuff, and some emergency food).

Did you do this in summer or winter Brewy? There are plenty of munk jacks,
rabbits, pigeons, pheasant etc, round here, just got to catch
the beggars.

matthyaouw said:
I have wondered what it would be like to go and live alone in the wild glens of Scotland, being completely self reliant, but I don't think I could really do it.

You could become a legend, tourists would come and try to get a photo
of the, "wild man of the glens", have a go ,they might even make a film.

I think it would be fun for a few weeks or months, just as a learning experience. I wouldn't want to revert back to being a caveman though.

I like to go camping at really nice hotels.

wolram said:
Did you do this in summer or winter Brewy?
It must of been those few days he didn't post. :biggrin:

My idea of roughing it is a motel without color TV. I do admire those who can live off the land. Just no interest in it myself.

It can be done. Several of my elder paternal kin have lived off the land for periods of time out in the Mojave. There seems to be a decent account in Into the Wild. Even if Chris McCandless wasn't too successful himself and died when he finally got out into the wilderness, Krakauer alludes to many others, whose adventures I'm sure are chronicled somewhere.

I could do it for as long as I had to. With a few basic tools I could be very comfortable. With just my bare hands, I would still survive using sharp rocks and making fire with sticks.
There is still enough forrest here for a person to vanish very easily. But darn, I'd sure miss my pillow top bed :cry:

wolram said:
No, not farming, but hunter gathering in 2005, could you do it for a month, 2,4,
6, a year ?
I could do it for a month, but when I got back, I'd weigh 65 pounds...

I'm a camping nut, but I'm not sure if I'm that good as of now. I'm sure with a few months of reading and practice I could get to where I could, but I'd be Coyote food if you dropped me out there with nothing right now.

True self sufficiency is hard though. Give me clothes (1 pair of Jeans, a shirt, under clothes, boots, and a jacket), a knife, a hatchet, a roll of high strength twine, two butane lighters, and an emergency MRE just in case I have to hike my butt back to civilization, and I'm set for at least a few days, probably a week. But without those. . .

Last edited:
Is this a revisitation of the 'Survival' thread, Wooley? I was really enjoying that until it veered off into some fictional chain-story. If you can get that sucker back on track, I'd like to see it revived.
As much as I loathe the concept of dwelling any place where the bugs outnumber the bathrooms, I'm pretty sure that I could survive in any reasonable climate without external aid. It would probably be an ugly, stinky, completely undignified existence, but if the alternative was death I'd make it work.

wolram said:
6, a year ?
i could do it for an extended period of time. i used to be big inot camping. i have 1337 survival skillz

yourdadonapogostick said:
i have 1337 survival skillz
I didn't realize that they're catalogued. I probably only have a few dozen, but it's enough to stay alive.

i could do it for an extended period of time. i used to be big inot camping. i have 1337 survival skillz
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Lisa! said:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
If swimming isn't one of his 1337 skills, you just might have done him in. :biggrin:

I was into primitive camping and backpacking from about age 12 on. As a Boy Scout I learned plenty of survival skills. Back in the those days the scouts were all about survival in the wilderness, and we applied those skills frequently, so I probably could have done alright. But now, primitive camping means that I don't have an internet connection.

What kind of situation are we talking about here? I was imagining having the necessary supplies and being in a relatively safe location, not being dumped naked in the Serengeti.

honestrosewater said:
I was imagining having the necessary supplies and being in a relatively safe location, not being dumped naked in the Serengeti.
Hmmm... :devil:
I was thinking in the context of having nothing to start with. On the other hand, if the scenario involves you being dumped naked in my vicinity... :tongue2:

Danger said:
Hmmm... :devil:
I was thinking in the context of having nothing to start with. On the other hand, if the scenario involves you being dumped naked in my vicinity... :tongue2:
Well, fortunately, that's all I need for my one survival skill. :wink:

honestrosewater said:
Well, fortunately, that's all I need for my one survival skill. :wink:
I think women need to know 1 more survival skills than men. I mean women need to know how to protect themselves against men! :devil:

Lisa! said:
I think women need to know 1 more survival skills than men. I mean women need to know how to protect themselves against men! :devil:
Yes, my one survival skill is getting the man to do all of the work. Wasn't that obvious?

honestrosewater said:
Yes, my one survival skill is getting the man to do all of the work. Wasn't that obvious?
And you're still single... WHY?

honestrosewater said:
Yeah, and for sure he shouldn't expect any prize for that! :wink:

Smurf said:
And you're still single... WHY?
Men are incompetent. :biggrin: Yeah, it's not the best survival skill...

Lisa! said:
Yeah, and for sure he shouldn't expect any prize for that! :wink:
I'm sure you know what all men want... beer and to keep their socks on. :rolleyes:

honestrosewater said:
Not all of the work. Cooking and cleaning are up to you, and at my advanced age the requisite meaningless recreational sex is physically your arena whilst I lie back and enjoy. In return, I shall gladly supply you with whatever food, warmth and protection you might desire.
(I see this rapidly going the way of the 'Survival' thread.)

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
Men are incompetent. :biggrin: Yeah, it's not the best survival skill...
:rofl: :rofl: Totally agree with you. But we'd better not blame them for their incompetences. You know they've fallen from their high tower which they used to be on top of it for thousands of years. And they need some time to get used to their new position!

Danger said:
Not all of the work. Cooking and cleaning are up to you, and at my advanced age the requisite meaningless recreational sex is physically your arena whilst I lie back and enjoy.
:eek: What kind of woman do you think I am? I've never considered that work. :smile:
In return, I shall gladly supply you with whatever food, warmth and protection you might disire.
(I see this rapidly going the way of the 'Survival' thread.)
Sounds fair to me. Sorry Lisa!, I've always had a weakness for dangerous gorilla men. :!)

honestrosewater said:
:eek: What kind of woman do you think I am? I've never considered that work. :smile:
Sounds fair to me. Sorry Lisa!, I've always had a weakness for dangerous gorilla men. :!)
So you finally find your kind of man! :wink:

Lisa! said:
So you finally find your kind of man! :wink:
Yes, now we need to find your kind of man. It's Clausius, right? I'll put in a good word for you.

honestrosewater said:
Yes, now we need to find your kind of man. It's Clausius, right? I'll put in a good word for you.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: No, I prefer to find him by myself. He doen't have a lot in common with my kind of man.

honestrosewater said:
Neither did I, until the emphysema took hold. I still don't mind providing the motive power, as long as occassional rest breaks are permitted.

honestrosewater said:
I've always had a weakness for dangerous gorilla men. :!)
I fear that I would have to borrow some of Astronuc's hair in order to qualify as a gorilla man. There's still lots on my head, but the rest of me is pretty devoid. On the other hand, if I can cap a bear about my size and make buttons out of its vertebrae, I can be as hirsute as you require.