Hunter Gathering in 2005: Could You Survive?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the author did a three day hunting and gathering session in 2005 and had a great time. He did not use any modern conveniences and found everything he needed. He would be able to do it again, but would not enjoy it as much without modern conveniences.
I could live off the land but aeroplanes and submarines are too damn expensive!

Physics news on Phys.org
hypatia said:
I've not been in one while a deluge style of rain fell, but they hold tight with the normal rains. Also rains here almost never come from the east. And of course {USA} we half to worry about tornados, so this would be my building of choice.
Round buildings offer so much more useable room.

I though we didn't have to worry about tornado's in the uk, but birmingham
central england was hit by a 130mph one this week, causing quite bad damage

Yes a round house is much more practical in materials per volume, who introduced corners, the egyptians, or older still ?

In Egypt, most of the early homes were made of bricks, and its easier to cast them square. Most of the Myan structues were made of stone, and it was easier to carve squares, and to build in squares.
Some early cultures used both, having a long house for groups of people while famlies made round houses. But its hard to tell, just when it became the norm.

One thing bothers me about living off the land, and that is health care, ok
there are several herbal remedies for this and that, but how effective are they,
and what if you slice your self open, how could you fix a gaping wound?

Of course if you had needle and thread, you would sew it. Even things like a hawthorn and fibers from the tendon of a animal{sinew} work well.{boil them before use} Some wounds, like puncture wounds, need to heal from the inside out, so you would pack it, then wrap it. And then change the dressings often.
Infection is your worst enemy.
Before you start any journey, you should read up on local medicinal plants. Many have antibacterial and pain relief qualities. Most of our modern medicen comes from the ancient lore of folk remedies.
This being a adventure of choice, if it looks bad, get your fanny back to town and see a doctor.

Rebuilding medicine after the comet

wolram said:
what if you slice your self open, how could you fix a gaping wound?
Needle and thread. Hydrogen peroxide works as a disinfectant. You can make our own penicillin, according to James Marusek.
http://personals.galaxyinternet.net/tunga/I19.htm

--
Archived written knowledge will come into play in Stage 3. It will be important to reconstitute key industries, such as the medical industry. Compiling information prior to the impact, such as the manufacture of penicillin, will aid in the recovery of civilization.
--

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting site Hitssquad thanks.

hypatia said:
Of course if you had needle and thread, you would sew it. Even things like a hawthorn and fibers from the tendon of a animal{sinew} work well.{boil them before use} Some wounds, like puncture wounds, need to heal from the inside out, so you would pack it, then wrap it. And then change the dressings often.
Infection is your worst enemy.
Before you start any journey, you should read up on local medicinal plants. Many have antibacterial and pain relief qualities. Most of our modern medicen comes from the ancient lore of folk remedies.
This being a adventure of choice, if it looks bad, get your fanny back to town and see a doctor.

I once had an iron fence rail puncture my arm pit, that took ages to heal, i
wonder if i would have survived in the wild.

Always carry potassium permanganate. You can use it to start fires (mixed with sugar), sterilise wounds (in a solution), and dye snow purple to use as a marker to helicopters etc.

Heeee heeee heeee! Hyp said 'fanny'!

Wolram, was your weather at all inclement on tornado day?

brewnog said:
Always carry potassium permanganate. You can use it to start fires (mixed with sugar), sterilise wounds (in a solution), and dye snow purple to use as a marker to helicopters etc.

Heeee heeee heeee! Hyp said 'fanny'!

Wolram, was your weather at all inclement on tornado day?

I was unsure of the word fanny, but to the americans i think it means butt.

Our weather was owt from the norm a heavy shower and that was it, i find
it strange that brum had the same thing 70 yrs ago.

I hate tornados,they really scare me, and August is our prime month for them. We have weather sirens that warn us to take cover. Most rush into the safty of there basements/cellars.
But idiots like me rush to the porch to see if one is comming. :confused:

You could stand still if your home was a thin-shell concrete structure with F5-proof windows and doors.
http://www.itsa.info

--
Thin-shell concrete domes have been classified as providing "near-absolute disaster resistance" by FEMA. That should help you sleep better on a stormy night.
--

hypatia said:
I hate tornados,they really scare me, and August is our prime month for them. We have weather sirens that warn us to take cover. Most rush into the safty of there basements/cellars.
But idiots like me rush to the porch to see if one is comming. :confused:

You silly thing, curiosity killed the cat, so next time get your fanny into the shelter. Ops now i said it.
:blushing:

I like the cement houses hitssquad! They are really energy efficient too. Great link.
lol@fanny... careful its a contagious word.

ok, you have shelter..enough wood/food to last the winter. But your alone. What would you do to keep your sanity in the long winter months?

hypatia said:
I like the cement houses hitssquad! They are really energy efficient too. Great link.
lol@fanny... careful its a contagious word.

ok, you have shelter..enough wood/food to last the winter. But your alone. What would you do to keep your sanity in the long winter months?

Star gaze, think of girls, whittle, think of girls, make hunting weapons
:cry: its no good i have gone crazy.

wolram said:
Star gaze, think of girls, whittle, think of girls, make hunting weapons
:cry: its no good i have gone crazy.

And this was only your first 24 hours! :rofl:

hypatia said:
And this was only your first 24 hours! :rofl:

Well it seemed much longer, may be i could last a week.