Living off the land

  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • #101
1,167
9
Ahhh the waddle and daub, called a medicen house by natives of N. America. There a nice little place to make for the long haul.
A round dug in Hogan would be good too, not many wild animals will venture underground to go after large prey. And the above ground part is sort of like a waddle, with timbers and a solid roof.
 
  • #102
wolram
Gold Member
4,330
558
hypatia said:
Ahhh the waddle and daub, called a medicen house by natives of N. America. There a nice little place to make for the long haul.
A round dug in Hogan would be good too, not many wild animals will venture underground to go after large prey. And the above ground part is sort of like a waddle, with timbers and a solid roof.
Im lost, what is Hogan and waddle?underground? :confused: Hypatia what has
the medicen man given you?
 
  • #103
1,167
9
A Hogan is a round house, dug into the ground about 24 inches. With its dome roof, its about 10 ft tall in the center. Logs make up the basic structure, and mud/grass/reeds cover it. The door always faces the morning sun.
http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/000ab/000ab08d.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #104
wolram
Gold Member
4,330
558
That looks a sturdy house and no thatched roof, but how about bad
weather would it not flood when it rains.
 
  • #105
1,167
9
I've not been in one while a deluge style of rain fell, but they hold tight with the normal rains. Also rains here almost never come from the east. And of course {USA} we half to worry about tornados, so this would be my building of choice.
Round buildings offer so much more useable room.
 
  • #106
176
0
I could live off the land but aeroplanes and submarines are too damn expensive!!
 
  • #107
wolram
Gold Member
4,330
558
hypatia said:
I've not been in one while a deluge style of rain fell, but they hold tight with the normal rains. Also rains here almost never come from the east. And of course {USA} we half to worry about tornados, so this would be my building of choice.
Round buildings offer so much more useable room.

I though we didn't have to worry about tornado's in the uk, but birmingham
central england was hit by a 130mph one this week, causing quite bad damage

Yes a round house is much more practical in materials per volume, who introduced corners, the egyptians, or older still ?
 
  • #108
1,167
9
In Egypt, most of the early homes were made of bricks, and its easier to cast them square. Most of the Myan structues were made of stone, and it was easier to carve squares, and to build in squares.
Some early cultures used both, having a long house for groups of people while famlies made round houses. But its hard to tell, just when it became the norm.
 
  • #109
wolram
Gold Member
4,330
558
One thing bothers me about living off the land, and that is health care, ok
there are several herbal remedies for this and that, but how effective are they,
and what if you slice your self open, how could you fix a gaping wound?
 
  • #110
1,167
9
Of course if you had needle and thread, you would sew it. Even things like a hawthorn and fibers from the tendon of a animal{sinew} work well.{boil them before use} Some wounds, like puncture wounds, need to heal from the inside out, so you would pack it, then wrap it. And then change the dressings often.
Infection is your worst enemy.
Before you start any journey, you should read up on local medicinal plants. Many have antibacterial and pain relief qualities. Most of our modern medicen comes from the ancient lore of folk remedies.
This being a adventure of choice, if it looks bad, get your fanny back to town and see a doctor.
 
  • #111
921
0
Rebuilding medicine after the comet

wolram said:
what if you slice your self open, how could you fix a gaping wound?
Needle and thread. Hydrogen peroxide works as a disinfectant. You can make our own penicillin, according to James Marusek.
http://personals.galaxyinternet.net/tunga/I19.htm

--
Archived written knowledge will come into play in Stage 3. It will be important to reconstitute key industries, such as the medical industry. Compiling information prior to the impact, such as the manufacture of penicillin, will aid in the recovery of civilization.
--
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #112
wolram
Gold Member
4,330
558
Very interesting site Hitssquad thanks.
 
  • #113
wolram
Gold Member
4,330
558
hypatia said:
Of course if you had needle and thread, you would sew it. Even things like a hawthorn and fibers from the tendon of a animal{sinew} work well.{boil them before use} Some wounds, like puncture wounds, need to heal from the inside out, so you would pack it, then wrap it. And then change the dressings often.
Infection is your worst enemy.
Before you start any journey, you should read up on local medicinal plants. Many have antibacterial and pain relief qualities. Most of our modern medicen comes from the ancient lore of folk remedies.
This being a adventure of choice, if it looks bad, get your fanny back to town and see a doctor.

I once had an iron fence rail puncture my arm pit, that took ages to heal, i
wonder if i would have survived in the wild.
 
  • #114
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,719
7
Always carry potassium permanganate. You can use it to start fires (mixed with sugar), sterilise wounds (in a solution), and dye snow purple to use as a marker to helicopters etc.


Heeee heeee heeee! Hyp said 'fanny'!

Wolram, was your weather at all inclement on tornado day?
 
  • #115
wolram
Gold Member
4,330
558
brewnog said:
Always carry potassium permanganate. You can use it to start fires (mixed with sugar), sterilise wounds (in a solution), and dye snow purple to use as a marker to helicopters etc.


Heeee heeee heeee! Hyp said 'fanny'!

Wolram, was your weather at all inclement on tornado day?

I was unsure of the word fanny, but to the americans i think it means butt.

Our weather was owt from the norm a heavy shower and that was it, i find
it strange that brum had the same thing 70 yrs ago.
 
  • #116
1,167
9
I hate tornados,they really scare me, and August is our prime month for them. We have weather sirens that warn us to take cover. Most rush into the safty of there basements/cellars.
But idiots like me rush to the porch to see if one is comming. :confused:
 
  • #117
921
0
You could stand still if your home was a thin-shell concrete structure with F5-proof windows and doors.
http://www.itsa.info

--
Thin-shell concrete domes have been classified as providing "near-absolute disaster resistance" by FEMA. That should help you sleep better on a stormy night.
--
 
  • #118
wolram
Gold Member
4,330
558
hypatia said:
I hate tornados,they really scare me, and August is our prime month for them. We have weather sirens that warn us to take cover. Most rush into the safty of there basements/cellars.
But idiots like me rush to the porch to see if one is comming. :confused:

You silly thing, curiosity killed the cat, so next time get your fanny into the shelter. Ops now i said it.
:blushing:
 
  • #119
1,167
9
I like the cement houses hitssquad! They are really energy efficient too. Great link.
lol@fanny... careful its a contagious word.

ok, you have shelter..enough wood/food to last the winter. But your alone. What would you do to keep your sanity in the long winter months?
 
  • #120
wolram
Gold Member
4,330
558
hypatia said:
I like the cement houses hitssquad! They are really energy efficient too. Great link.
lol@fanny... careful its a contagious word.

ok, you have shelter..enough wood/food to last the winter. But your alone. What would you do to keep your sanity in the long winter months?

Star gaze, think of girls, whittle, think of girls, make hunting weapons
:cry: its no good i have gone crazy.
 
  • #121
1,167
9
wolram said:
Star gaze, think of girls, whittle, think of girls, make hunting weapons
:cry: its no good i have gone crazy.


And this was only your first 24 hours! :rofl:
 
  • #122
wolram
Gold Member
4,330
558
hypatia said:
And this was only your first 24 hours! :rofl:

Well it seemed much longer, may be i could last a week.
:surprised
 

Related Threads on Living off the land

  • Last Post
2
Replies
27
Views
4K
Replies
28
Views
12K
S
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
19
Views
4K
  • Last Post
10
Replies
229
Views
14K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
14
Views
5K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
577
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
Top