Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Living with parents.

1. Apr 3, 2008 #1
    At 23, I'm starting to hate it.

But my expenses are huge. Often $400 in a single weekend to rent airplanes. No, I will NOT give it up, as I'm pretty much set on becomming a professional piltot, which means I NEED to spend that kind of money to get my ratings.

Plus, I'm about 90% sure I'll be going back to school this fall, so that's even more money.

Plus I have to have extra money for motorcycle riding and shooting guns and watching movies and stuff like that.

Any possible way I can start living on my own?

Or should I just live with my parents as long as possible to save as much money as possible?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2008 #2
    You could always try winning the lottery.
  4. Apr 3, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, if you cut back on your budget and get a good job, you can afford to live on your own, but whether you want to or will do that is up to you and your parents.

Money spent working on acquiring training for a career is a justifiable expense, money spent purely on entertainment can be used more wisely if it's the difference between financial independence and living home with mommy and daddy forever.
  5. Apr 3, 2008 #4

Gold Member

I have someone I really really REALLY REALLY REALLY want you to talk to. Go out for a drink. I'll pay. Go out for a meal. A whole night. I'll pay for the whole thing. No expense spared. Talk about what you hate about living with your parents. Talk about planning that involves more than this weekend's bar trip and a pack of smokes. Talk about the REAL cost of financial independence. Talk about not having grocery faeries. Talk about ANYTHING that's better about being 20+ than being a perpetual teenager.

:cry::cry::cry: The horror. The horror. :cry::cry::cry:
  6. Apr 3, 2008 #5
    Why do you want to move out so badly? Unless you have overly restrictive parents who treat you half your age, it doesn't seem so bad. If I weren't in graduate school I'd live with my parents. Heck, there's a large clinic in my parents' town, so if I end up becoming a medical physicist after I get my PhD (one of the many options I've considered), I wouldn't mind living with my parents even then. As you yourself have said, you save a lot of money that way. And if you happen to like being around your parents (I do, but I may be weird), there isn't really much of a downside.
  7. Apr 3, 2008 #6
    Well, I just feel I ought to be living on my own.

I suppose it might be easier if I had a girlfriend. At least then the cost of rent could be split.

But, I haven't found a girl, mainly because I never go out and look and I have a very pessimistic attitude.

I suppose I should overcome that.
  8. Apr 3, 2008 #7
    I know one 30 year old at work that would do anything to move back to his parent's house. However his parents won't allow him to move in. He now struggles from pay check to pay check, and lives with a roommate actually.
  9. Apr 3, 2008 #8

Gold Member

Word of advice. Get a roommate that isn't your girlfriend.

Mixing the two before the time is right is a road to disaster.
  10. Apr 3, 2008 #9

Gold Member

And he is a much stronger, more capable adult for it. Don't doubt it for a second.
  11. Apr 3, 2008 #10
    I moved back home to pay off $40,000 in student loans. Despite what people tell you, you need to allow yourself to have money for recreation like going to the movies, the bar with your friends, travel etc. If you don't you will simply go insane. You will piss away your 20's trying to pay off debt and won't be able to hang out with your friends while you are young if you don't spend any money on entertainment purposes. However, the key is just to not go overboard.

How so? Just because one struggles from pay check to pay check doesn't make them strong. That will mean nothing in the end if you struggle from pay check to pay check until you are 65 and can't retire because you only have $5000 in retirement savings.
  12. Apr 3, 2008 #11
    Then give me half of your paycheck. You'll be stronger for it, because it will mean you will have to struggle. Deal?
  13. Apr 3, 2008 #12

Staff: Mentor

See: post #1
  14. Apr 3, 2008 #13
    I can sympathize with the OP a bit. I live with my parents while going to college. It's not as "free" as it would be if I had my own place. Especially since my mom gets really paranoid if I don't "call in" at night or something, even though I'm 21. I mean, I'm a shut-in, so I don't really do anything, but my point is that having parents over your shoulders the whole time kind of sucks.

That being said, I'll take it over having to pay for my own housing and food any day. I am REALLY grateful that they didn't kick me out when I graduated high-school and I remind them of that periodically, and NEVER ***** to them about anything like that.

That being said, I'm getting more and more excited about moving out when I leave for grad school. I realize it won't be all roses and chocolates, but it will be a good experience. I mean, I'd have to do it sooner or later anyway, so it's not like delaying it would help at all.
  15. Apr 3, 2008 #14
    I'd go nuts if I lived at home. I live within 3 hours of home and I'm constantly getting bugged to drive home often, which I don't like because it's simply too easy to go home, get laundry done, get food, etc. In a sense I feel somewhat cheated in the independence department, which is why I'm really looking forward to living say 10 hours away instead of 3.

Living at home can make you too reticent in your future; All my friends that stayed at home after highschool have had major life changes for the worst (dropped out of college, got married and never went to college, did bum stuff like party and join bands and work at menial jobs). You need to get out and start making sacrifices or your life will turn out as you will not like.
  16. Apr 3, 2008 #15

Gold Member

One can choose to rise to the responsibility of being an independent adult or one can choose not to.
  17. Apr 3, 2008 #16

Gold Member

I have earned what I have. The struggling is what turns teenagers into adults.
  18. Apr 3, 2008 #17
    Yeah try telling someone living pay check to pay check that they are "independent". I did it before, and you are nothing more than a slave. How are you supposed to live on your own when you can't even afford to save for a down payment on a house because you are suffocating under a load of other bills? I'm sorry, but I am not going to pay someone else's mortgage for the rest of my life via rent. Paying rent is much more of a waste of money than spending money on going to the movies.
  19. Apr 3, 2008 #18

Gold Member

So, you'll mooch off your parents then?

Struggling is one of the rites of passage into adulthood. Adulthood is not meted out by parents, it is taken by those who want it. Those who don't can stay children all their life.

Nobody said growing up was going to be pleasant. Or easy.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  20. Apr 3, 2008 #19

Considering the fact that my parents don't even care, and actually even want me to live back at home, then yes, I will gladly "mooch" off my parents.

Let me guess, you are some old school guy who went to college 30 years ago when it cost $2000 for tuition. Sorry, but times have changed, and college tuition prices have easily outpaced inflation over the past 20 years. Kids leave college these days with $40, 50, even $100 K in debt. If you did research further you would also see that inflation adjusted salaries for college grads hasn't even risen over the past 20 years (in fact if I remember correctly it has actually fallen).

Put it this way, if I died right on the spot right now, I'd probably be worth about negative $60,0000.
  21. Apr 3, 2008 #20

Gold Member

At some point in your life, you have to grow up and take responsibility for your future career-track and personal development. Don't wait.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?