Mark & Olly: Living with the Mek Tribes

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the TV show "Mark & Olly - living with the Mek" and the challenges the hosts face while documenting primitive tribes. The topic of pecker gourds was also mentioned, with one person expressing their desire to make their own rather than use the one featured on the show. The conversation also referenced a memorable episode where the hosts struggled to capture pigs as a gift for the tribe.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Anyone else watch Mark & Olly - living with the Mek?

The suffering these two endure to chronicle the last primiitve tribes is remarkable. I love their shows. The last tribe they lived with before the Mek was also quite fascinating.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, pretty cool show. I wouldn't want a pecker gourd though...Or atleast, I'd make my own.

binzing said:
Yeah, pretty cool show. I wouldn't want a pecker gourd though...Or atleast, I'd make my own.
Yeah, those gourds don't exactly look comfy.

Its a good show. I remember they had to capture a bunch of pigs as a gift but couldnt.

1. What is "Mark & Olly: Living with the Mek Tribes" about?

"Mark & Olly: Living with the Mek Tribes" is a documentary series that follows two British adventurers, Mark Anstice and Olly Steeds, as they live with and learn about several indigenous tribes living in the remote rainforests of Papua New Guinea.

2. How long is the series and how many episodes are there?

The series consists of 10 episodes, each approximately 45 minutes long.

3. When was the series first aired and on what network?

"Mark & Olly: Living with the Mek Tribes" first aired in the United Kingdom on Channel 4 in 2006. It has also been broadcasted on various networks in other countries, such as Discovery Channel and Animal Planet.

4. What makes this documentary series unique compared to others?

Unlike other documentaries that focus on observing and studying indigenous cultures, "Mark & Olly: Living with the Mek Tribes" showcases the personal journey of the two hosts as they immerse themselves in the daily lives of the tribes and form genuine friendships with the local people.

5. Can this series be considered culturally sensitive and accurate?

Yes, the creators of the series, Mark and Olly, have extensive experience and knowledge in anthropology and have spent months living with and studying the Mek tribes to ensure cultural sensitivity and accuracy. The series also received positive feedback from the tribes and their leaders.