Ljung-Box Test in finite sample Proof

In summary: By dividing both the numerator and denominator by $n$, we can rewrite this as:$$p_k = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - \bar x)(x_{i+k}-\bar x)}{s^2} = \frac{\frac{1}{n} \
mertcan
Hi everyone, initially I have seen that in order to analyze residuals for finite sample, Ljung - Box is defined as $$n*(n+2)*\sum_{n=0}^h p_k^2/(n-k)$$ where n is the sample size, $$p_k$$ is the sample autocorrelation at lag k, and h is the number of lags being tested. Actually I know the proof of formula when sample size goes infinity but in finite sample case there is a little adjustment. Also no sufficient information exist for that adjustment. Could you provide me with the proof?

Regards;

Physics news on Phys.org
The proof of the Ljung-Box statistic for finite sample sizes is based on the fact that the sample autocorrelations are estimated from a sample of finite size. Specifically, the formula for the finite sample Ljung-Box statistic is given by:$$n*(n+2)*\sum_{k=0}^h \frac{p_k^2}{n-k}$$where $n$ is the sample size, $p_k$ is the sample autocorrelation at lag k and h is the number of lags being tested.The derivation of this formula starts with the definition of the sample autocorrelation coefficient at lag k, which is given by:$$p_k = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n-k} (x_i - \bar x)(x_{i+k}-\bar x)}{\sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - \bar x)^2}$$where $x_i$ is the value of the series at time i and $\bar x$ is the mean of the series.The numerator of the above equation can be rewritten as follows:$$\sum_{i=1}^{n-k} (x_i - \bar x)(x_{i+k}-\bar x) = \sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - \bar x)(x_{i+k}-\bar x) - \sum_{i=n-k+1}^n (x_i - \bar x)(x_{i+k}-\bar x)$$The second term on the right-hand side is zero because $x_{i+k}$ is undefined for $i > n-k$. Thus, we have:$$\sum_{i=1}^{n-k} (x_i - \bar x)(x_{i+k}-\bar x) = \sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - \bar x)(x_{i+k}-\bar x)$$Substituting this into the formula for $p_k$ gives:$$p_k = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^

1. What is the purpose of the Ljung-Box Test in finite sample proof?

The Ljung-Box Test is used to determine whether a set of data is random or has some underlying pattern or structure. In finite sample proof, it is used to test the hypothesis that the residuals of a time series model are uncorrelated.

2. How does the Ljung-Box Test work?

The Ljung-Box Test calculates the autocorrelation of a time series at different lags and compares it to the expected values under the null hypothesis of no autocorrelation. If the calculated values are significantly different from the expected values, the null hypothesis is rejected, indicating the presence of autocorrelation.

3. What is the significance level for the Ljung-Box Test?

The significance level for the Ljung-Box Test is typically set at 0.05, meaning that if the p-value is less than 0.05, the null hypothesis is rejected and the data is considered to have significant autocorrelation.

4. Can the Ljung-Box Test be used for all types of time series data?

The Ljung-Box Test is suitable for stationary time series data, meaning that the mean, variance, and autocorrelation structure of the data do not change over time. If the data is non-stationary, other tests such as the Augmented Dickey-Fuller Test should be used instead.

5. Are there any limitations to the Ljung-Box Test in finite sample proof?

One limitation of the Ljung-Box Test is that it assumes the data is normally distributed. If the data is not normally distributed, the results of the test may not be accurate. Additionally, the test may not be effective for detecting certain types of autocorrelation, such as cyclical patterns in the data.