1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ln (-1)

1. Jan 18, 2012 #1
    I saw a post discussing (-1)(1/3). After I saw it, I was a little confused about how the value of ln(-1) is derived. I could see from euler's identity that it should equal i*π; however, I'm not sure where the multiplicity (2k+1) comes from. I searched the forums (and google) but couldn't find anything. Could anyone clear this up for me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, saying that [itex]ln(-1)=(2k+1)i\pi[/itex] for [itex]k\in \mathbb{Z}[/itex] simply means (by definition) that

[tex]e^{(2k+1)i\pi}=-1[/tex]

Why does this hold? Well, by definition of the complex exponential, we have

[tex]e^{(2k+1)i\pi}=\cos((2k+1)\pi)+i\sin((2k+1)\pi)[/tex]

From elementary trigonometry, we know that [itex]\cos((2k+1)\pi)=-1[/itex] and [itex]\sin((2k+1)\pi)=0[/itex]. So we indeed see that the above expression equals -1.

However: most authors don't like the logarithm to take on multiple values. They want one value for the complex logarithm. That's why you will always see [itex]ln(-1)=i\pi[/itex]. We don't mention the other values because we only want one answer for ln(-1). We say that [itex]i\pi[/itex] is the principal value of the logarithm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook