How do I compute the derivative of ln (7x+1)^1/2 (3x^2+x)^5 / (x^2-3)^3 e^2x?

In summary, the question is to compute the derivative of ln (7x+1)^1/2 (3X^2+x)^5. The ln is for both the numerator and denominator and I tried the chain rule and came up with this: (x^2-3)^3 e^2x and finally 6x(x^2-3)^2 2e^2x. The ln(a^n) property is used to simplify the fractions and the derivative is 6x(x^2-3)^2 2e^2x
nanai
The question is to compute the derivative of
ln (7x+1)^1/2 (3X^2+x)^5
(x^2-3)^3 e^2x
the ln is for both the numerator and denominator

I tried the chain rule and came up with this

(7x+1)^1/2 (3x^2+x)^5
(x^2-3)^3 e^2x

and finally 6x(x^2-3)^2 2e^2x
7/2(7x+1)^-1/2 30x(3x^2+x)^4

Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to try to apply some logarithm properties to that to simplify it.

For example, lna/b is the same thing as lna - lnb. lna^b = blna. lna*b = lna + lnb...

nanai said:
The question is to compute the derivative of
ln (7x+1)^1/2 (3X^2+x)^5
(x^2-3)^3 e^2x
the ln is for both the numerator and denominator

I tried the chain rule and came up with this

(7x+1)^1/2 (3x^2+x)^5
(x^2-3)^3 e^2x

and finally 6x(x^2-3)^2 2e^2x
7/2(7x+1)^-1/2 30x(3x^2+x)^4

Are you sayingthat your final expression is your final result for the derivative? That is not correct.

As Moose said, use first properties of the ln to write this as a *SUM* of 4 terms and bring down the exponents using ln(a^n)= n ln(a). Also, use [itex] ln ( e^{2x}) = 2x [/itex]. Only after doing all that you should take the derivative and it will be quite simple.

ok I used the ln property and here is what I got.

ln(7x+1)^1/2+ln(3x^2+x)^5-ln(x^2-3)^3+lne^2x

1/2ln(7x+1) +5ln(3x^2+x)-3ln(x^2-3)+2x

and finally 1/2*7/7x+1+5*6x/3x^2+x -3*2x/x^2-3 + 2

am I right?

Apart from the '+1' missing from numerator of the third term(in the final answer), everything else seems to be right.

It's -2x, not +2x (e2x was in the denominator of the fraction.)
And, of course, you'll want to simplify those fractions.

Thanks everyone

1. What is the definition of an Ln derivative?

The Ln derivative, also known as the natural logarithmic derivative, is the derivative of the natural logarithm function. It is defined as the inverse of the exponential function, and is used to find the rate of change of a logarithmic function.

2. How do you find the Ln derivative of a function?

To find the Ln derivative of a function f(x), you can use the formula: (ln f(x))' = f'(x)/f(x). This means taking the derivative of the function and dividing it by the original function. Alternatively, you can use logarithmic differentiation to find the Ln derivative of more complex functions.

3. What is the relationship between the Ln derivative and the chain rule?

The Ln derivative follows the chain rule, which states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivative of the outer function and the derivative of the inner function. This applies to the Ln derivative because it is defined as the derivative of the outer function ln(x) multiplied by the derivative of the inner function f(x).

4. Can the Ln derivative be used to find the derivative of any logarithmic function?

Yes, the Ln derivative can be used to find the derivative of any logarithmic function. This is because the natural logarithm function is the inverse of the exponential function, and the Ln derivative is defined as the derivative of the natural logarithm function.

5. What is the significance of the Ln derivative in calculus and real-world applications?

The Ln derivative is an important concept in calculus because it allows us to find the rate of change of logarithmic functions, which often model real-world phenomena such as population growth or radioactive decay. It is also used in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to analyze and solve problems involving exponential and logarithmic functions.