Ln Simplification: Physics Lab w/ Calorimetry Uncertainties

• Thread starter CINA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ln
In summary, the student is trying to apply the natural log method to solve a problem in physics, but is having difficulty with the addition inside the ln function. He is able to take the total derivative and solve for df.
CINA

Homework Statement

I'm doing a physics lab and need to do the uncertainties, and the method I'm using is the natural log method, hich goes like this:
(equation used was k*(x^a)*(y^b)*(z^c) )
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/3663/lnform.jpg

The equation I'm doing:

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4214/40303282.jpg

I'm just wondering how it simplifies (the right most part of the first picture) so that I can take the partial dervs. (The Inside of ln is my actualy equation, calorimetry.)

Homework Equations

I don't know, otherwise I would apply them!

The Attempt at a Solution

It's a pretty straight foward problem, once I see it down once I think I can do it all the time in the future. The main problem I am having is dealing with the things in the denominator.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would use ln(a/b) = ln(a) - ln(b)

But what about the pluses? wouldn't that turn into ln(mhTh + mcTc) - ln(mc - mh), what then? I thought that each variable has to be on its own ( ln(mc), ln(Tc), ln(mh)...) ?

There is no property of logs that allows you to break up the log of a sum or difference. IOW, log(a + b) != log(a) + log(b), and log(a - b) != log(a) - log(b).

Ok, so ignore the logs and just start over, how would you get the uncertainty given this equation?

CINA said:
I'm doing a physics lab and need to do the uncertainties, and the method I'm using is the natural log method, hich goes like this:
(equation used was k*(x^a)*(y^b)*(z^c) )
The above is not an equation.
CINA said:
From your following work, I'm assuming that the equation was f = k*(x^a)*(y^b)*(z^c).
First thing to do is to take the natural log of both sides:
ln f = ln(k*(x^a)*(y^b)*(z^c)) = lnk + a*lnx + b*lny + c*lnz

Now take the total derivative on both sides.
(1/f)df = 0 + a(1/x)dx + b(1/y)dy + c(1/z)dz

The expressions in parentheses on the right side are the partials with respect to x, y, and z, respectively. It's now a simple matter to get df.

I know how to do that one, it was an example used by the instructor, I'm trying to do this one ( with the other side of the equation being = ln f) :

CINA said:

The problem is the addition inside the ln, which prevents me from deconstructing it into a bunch of simple ln's ( ln(mh) + ln(Th) +...) since there are no rules for ln (a+b). Does that mean that the ln method doesn't apply, and I just have to take the total derivative from the outset (i.e. with just f=(mh*Th+mc*Tc)/(mh+mc) instead of ln f = ln ( (mh*Th+mc*Tc)/(mh+mc) )? Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

Thanks

I think I understand what you're saying. Just take the total derivative right away.

BTW, you should post problems like this in the Calculus & Beyond section, not the Precalc section.

1. What is the purpose of performing Ln simplification in a physics lab?

The purpose of performing Ln simplification in a physics lab is to simplify complex mathematical equations involving logarithms into a more manageable form. This allows for easier data analysis and interpretation.

2. How is Ln simplification used in calorimetry experiments?

Ln simplification is used in calorimetry experiments to calculate the heat capacity of a substance. This involves using the natural logarithm to simplify the equation for heat capacity, which takes into account the uncertainties in the measurements.

3. What are the main uncertainties involved in calorimetry experiments?

The main uncertainties involved in calorimetry experiments include the uncertainties in the measurements of mass, temperature, and heat energy. These uncertainties can affect the accuracy of the calculated heat capacity and must be taken into consideration during the Ln simplification process.

4. How is Ln simplification used to calculate uncertainties in calorimetry experiments?

Ln simplification is used to calculate uncertainties in calorimetry experiments by taking the natural logarithm of the equation for heat capacity. This results in a simpler equation that can be used to calculate the uncertainties in the measurements of mass, temperature, and heat energy.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when performing Ln simplification in a physics lab?

Some common mistakes to avoid when performing Ln simplification in a physics lab include forgetting to take the natural logarithm of the equation, using incorrect units in the calculation, and not properly accounting for uncertainties in the measurements. It is important to carefully follow the steps of Ln simplification and double check all calculations to ensure accuracy.