Solving Ln(-x) Invalidity?

• Thread starter Simon43254
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of hyperbolic functions to solve equations and the concept of invalidity when dealing with logarithms of negative or complex numbers. It is explained that the complex logarithm is valid for all complex numbers except zero and is defined in terms of the polar representation of a complex number. It is also mentioned that the concept of invalidity may not always be solved by inventing a new concept or solution. The conversation ends with a discussion about the undefined nature of log(0).
Simon43254
A few weeks ago, during my Further Pure 2 class, we were looking at using hyperbolic functions to solve equations. And we ended up with something along the lines of (e^x-2)(e^x+3) where the roots were Ln(2) and invalid due to Ln(-3) being a nonsensical answer. Now, I quickly reverted to something I had previously learnt. That being when you sqrt a negative number you used to be told it was an invalid answer, until you were taught complex numbers/roots, where this was no longer the case. And my question is, is there possibly a (not necessarily complex/imaginary), but some sort of other solution to the answer of the ln(-x) invalidity? Where like ln(-x) took a value of say like q lots of ln(x) in a similar fashion to how complex roots work. If not, can someone show me or explain why this cannot be? And if perhaps there is an answer to this, is it therefore feasible to suggest that there is no such thing as invalidity, as you can always create some sort of new concept or imaginary value in of which a solution is valid for, where it previously was not?

Cheers Si.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

First understand the notation. Usually when we write ln, we mean the ordinary logarithm of a positive number. However, logarithm also makes sense for negative and complex numbers where the customary notation for that is log even though log in high-school is often used to explicitly mean log-base-10. This multiple use of log often causes problems and one often has to interpret the symbol within the context of the problem: if we're dealing with high-school algegra, then log probably means base-10. If however we're dealing with college Complex Variables, it usually means the complex logarithm base e.

The complex logarithm is valid for all complex numbers except zero and is most commonly defined in terms of the polar representation of a complex number [itex]x+iy=re^{it}[/itex]. Then:

[tex]log(re^{i\theta})=\ln(r)+i(\theta+2k\pi)[/tex]

where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the argument of the complex number and [itex]k=0,\pm 1,\pm2,\cdots[/itex] which makes this a "multi-valued" function although often we consider it's "principal value" with k=0. So in the case of [itex]\log(-x)[/itex] where x for example is 2, then the principal-valued logarithm of -2 is:

[tex]\log(-2)=\ln(2)+\pi i[/tex]

jackmell said:
The complex logarithm is valid for all complex numbers except zero and is most commonly defined in terms of the polar representation of a complex number [itex]x+iy=re^{it}[/itex]. Then:

[tex]log(re^{i\theta})=\ln(r)+i(\theta+2k\pi)[/tex]

where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the argument of the complex number and [itex]k=0,\pm 1,\pm2,\cdots[/itex] which makes this a "multi-valued" function although often we consider it's "principal value" with k=0. So in the case of [itex]\log(-x)[/itex] where x for example is 2, then the principal-valued logarithm of -2 is:

[tex]\log(-2)=\ln(2)+\pi i[/tex]

Thank you very much, this is the answer I was looking for. I had a feeling that there was going to be a formulation using complex number. Can I now revert you to the last line of my question?

Simon Malzard said:
Thank you very much, this is the answer I was looking for. I had a feeling that there was going to be a formulation using complex number. Can I now revert you to the last line of my question?

The zeros to [itex](e^x+3)=0[/itex] are [itex]\log(-3)=\ln(3)+i(\pi+2k\pi)[/itex] and is consistent with the definition of log.

I can't answer the "always". I would imagine we can't always "invent" a new concept as a solution to something previously considered "invalid".

Thats interesting. I've always thought that the concept of invalidity was just another way of saying we don't know yet, someones hasn't created a new concept or a new way of thinking to solve this idea. But then I guess every time this occurred, you'd just create a new problem, needing a new solution, which would result in an infinite loop.

What about log(0)? :smile:

Log(0) remains indeterminate.

Cyosis said:

The word you want is "undefined."

Cyosis said:

I don't believe ln(0) is in indeterminate form, it is definitely undefined. Unless you can give me an example of where ln(0) is indeterminate...

schumi1991` said:
Let Us take your expression:ln(-x)

=ln(-1*x)
=ln(-1)+ln(x)
do we arrive at something ,,,,NO it here seems improbable
unlike sqrt(-1) which is 'i'
so we have to define a new quantity here i.e ln(-1) say j then again unlike complex roots which have a geometrical representaion this quantity 'j' hhas none

You've already been shown that this is given a quantity, and we don't have to construct a completely new extension on our number system for log(-1). The complex numbers are enough.

Mark44 said:
The word you want is "undefined."

Indeed.

1. What does "Solving Ln(-x) Invalidity" mean?

"Solving Ln(-x) Invalidity" refers to finding a valid solution for the natural logarithm of a negative number. This is typically done by applying the properties of logarithms and converting the negative number to its equivalent in exponential form.

2. Why is Ln(-x) considered invalid?

The natural logarithm function, denoted as Ln(x), is only defined for positive numbers. This is because the inverse operation of exponentiation cannot be performed on a negative base. Therefore, Ln(-x) is considered invalid because there is no real number solution for it.

3. Can the natural logarithm of a negative number be solved?

No, the natural logarithm of a negative number cannot be solved for a real number solution. However, it can be represented using complex numbers, which have both real and imaginary parts.

4. What is the equivalent exponential form of Ln(-x)?

The equivalent exponential form of Ln(-x) is -x = e^y, where y is a complex number. This means that -x can be written as a power of the mathematical constant e raised to a complex exponent.

5. How can I solve Ln(-x) invalidity in a real-world context?

In a real-world context, solving Ln(-x) invalidity may occur when dealing with certain mathematical models or equations. In these cases, the equation may have complex solutions, which can be represented using the natural logarithm of a negative number. However, these solutions may not have a physical meaning and should be interpreted with caution.