Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(ln x)(ln x)

1. Aug 3, 2008 #1
    i have to integrate (ln x)(ln x)/ e^5t [in a variation of parameters problem] and have looked everywhere to see if Ln x multiplied by itself can be shortened to something like ln x^2 or some other reasonable thing but can't find such a rule anywhere. do i have to do this the long way with integration by parts? not even sure what to do with three things in integration by parts.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2008 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is it e^5t or e^5x?. If it's the latter I don't believe there's a closed form solution, but if it's the former, then it's more doable.

Let u = lnx, du= dx/x, dv=lnxdx, v = xlnx - x (Verify this by IBP). Then all the integrals are doable.

And yes, there are no identities to simplify ln(x)^2.

4. Aug 3, 2008 #3
    yes actually it is e^5x. all the t's that go into the integral have to change to x. but perhaps i can start with what you gave me - thanks!

5. Aug 3, 2008 #4

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Aug 8, 2008 #5
    man, i can'te even read that one. it's got symbols i haven't seen used, maybe they are just variables, but unusual ones. maybe i learn that next year! sigh.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?