1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(ln x)(ln x)

1. Aug 3, 2008 #1
    i have to integrate (ln x)(ln x)/ e^5t [in a variation of parameters problem] and have looked everywhere to see if Ln x multiplied by itself can be shortened to something like ln x^2 or some other reasonable thing but can't find such a rule anywhere. do i have to do this the long way with integration by parts? not even sure what to do with three things in integration by parts.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2008 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is it e^5t or e^5x?. If it's the latter I don't believe there's a closed form solution, but if it's the former, then it's more doable.

Let u = lnx, du= dx/x, dv=lnxdx, v = xlnx - x (Verify this by IBP). Then all the integrals are doable.

And yes, there are no identities to simplify ln(x)^2.

4. Aug 3, 2008 #3
    yes actually it is e^5x. all the t's that go into the integral have to change to x. but perhaps i can start with what you gave me - thanks!

5. Aug 3, 2008 #4

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Aug 8, 2008 #5
    man, i can'te even read that one. it's got symbols i haven't seen used, maybe they are just variables, but unusual ones. maybe i learn that next year! sigh.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?