1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lny and derivatives

1. Dec 14, 2008 #1
    Why is the lny y'\y?

could I also say the lny is dy\y?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2008 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: lny

Neither of these is correct.
    The derivative with respect to y of ln y is 1/y. In symbols, d/dy(ln y) = 1/y
    The differential of ln y, d(ln y), is dy/y.

Is that clear?

4. Dec 14, 2008 #3

I do understand what I should have said is when taking the derivative with respect to x, why is lny = y'/y. Thank you.

5. Dec 14, 2008 #4

It is because of the chain rule. Is that what you are asking?

6. Dec 14, 2008 #5

In case you're asking why the derivative of the natural logarithm function ln(x) is 1/x, it is because that is how the function was first defined. More precisely, the function ln(x) is defined to be the integral:
    [tex]\int_1^x \frac{dt}{t}[/tex]
    It was defined as this integral because it was found that this integral has the properties of a logarithm, the base of which was called 'e', or Euler's number. you can read more about 'e', its discovery and its properties in this book.
    The fundamental theorem of calculus then gives you the derivative of the function as 1/x, and the chain rule tells you that if you have f(x) = ln(y(x)), the derivative with respect to x is (1/y(x))*y'(x) or written implicitly, y'/y.
    If you are taking the differential of the form ln(y), then you may write d(ln(y)) = dy/y.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  7. Dec 14, 2008 #6

Thank you for the clarification.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?