Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Load Cell Signal Output

1. Jul 18, 2010 #1
    Howdy,

I am a mechanical engineering student with limited circuitry knowledge to start...

Anyhow I have a [-500,+500]lbf load cell that is essentially a wheatstone bridge strain gauge. I want to give it either 9Vdc or 12Vdc excitation voltage since I have a regulated power supply that can output those voltages. The load cell is rated for 10V excitation with a maximum of 15V though.

Anyhow here is my problem. I am using a NI USB 6009 DAQ to record the voltage output from the load cell. At zero load I tested the voltage outputs for both 9V and 12V input excitation voltages.
    9V input -> 4.19V output
    12V input -> 5.65V output

The Full Scale range of operation I hope to use this load cell in would result in a maximum/minimum increase in output voltage to
    9V input -> 4.19V +/- 0.027V output
    12V input -> 5.65V +/- 0.036V output

The other device I have is the USB 6009 DAQ that can ready +/- 10Vdc but it has limited resolution, if I hook the system up to the DAQ without conditioning the output signal I only get +/-5lbf output accuracy and that is when sampling at 1hz. I would like to maximize how fast I can sample and greatly improve the output accuracy. So I figure I need to "zero" the output voltage with a circuit and I suppose scale the output up to +/- 10V.

I hope I am not asking too complex of a question. I just don't really know where to begin. All I have come up with so far is:
    -Low Noise Op-Amp to apply a GAIN to the output signal and power it with the DC voltage source
    -Use a voltage divider circuit in parallel with the excitation source voltage to "zero" the output voltage.

I must not be doing any of it right though since the circuits I have thrown together from guides on the net have not done anything that I am wanting them to do :(.

Any help on where I need to look now?

Here is some other info on the load cell
    Nominal Input Resistance: 394ohms
    Nominal Output Resistance: 350ohms

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2010 #2
    Would an instrument amplifier with a setup such as the one posted in another PF topic work?
    diffa2.gif

I suppose it is called a voltage difference amplifier. I suppose I could have one input voltage be my load cell output and have a 2nd power source of 5V which would give me an output of Vo = 0.65*A where A = R3/R1 and I could amplify the signal with a gain of about 14.5 which would give me Vo=9.425V nominal and Vo=9.86V FS (500lbf load).

Although I hear that I shouldn't be using an op-amp for a load cell amplifier. Instead I should be using an instrumentation amplifier. Can I perform a voltage difference amplifier with an Instrumentation amplifier as well??

Attached Files:

4. Jul 18, 2010 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could use op-amps or instrument amps. Depends on your cell and what you want to do. e.g. how many varying elements, temperature compensation, linearizing.
    I found this http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/seminars_webcasts/49470200sscsect2.pdf" [Broken] that might help in you circuit design.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook