Load Control Circuit: Reduce Wasted Power in Design

In summary: Thank you for your suggestion.In summary, the conversation discusses using a circuit to reduce power waste in a design that requires a minimum load to regulate. The potential use of a small resistor in series with the useful load and monitoring the voltage across it is mentioned, but there are concerns about stability and the impact on the frequency response of the converter. The idea of using the wasted load for something useful, such as running a fan, is suggested. Another suggestion is using a shunt regulator to regulate the voltage when there isn't enough load. The conversation ends with thanking for the suggestions.
PMASwork
Hi, all.

(please see the attachment in the next post)

I'm re-using an old power converter in a design, which unfortunately requires a rather large minimum load to properly regulate. I can't alter this converter; I have to use it as-is. But, I can monitor the output, and add circuitry as needed to a new card that is being conencted to the old converter's output.

I'd like to utilize a circuit that will provide this wasted minimum load, but will also reduce this wasted load as the useful current (to the rest of the system) increases. That is, I'm intetrested in wasting as little power as possible, given my design constraints.

I thought about using a small resistor in series with the useful load, and monitoring the voltage across this resistor (call it Vx). I would want to effectively increase the resistance of the wasted load as Vx increases. This would drive down the wasted power as the useful power increases.

At first, I thought of using an op amp as a differential amplifier (amplifying Vx), and connecting the output of the op amp to the gate of an n-channel FET (having the FET operate in its linear region, effectively as a resistor). But, for a constant Vds, an increase in Vx would decrease the Rds of the FET, not increase it.

I can't hlep but think that I'm close here, but I'm missing some key tweak that would make this work.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Crude drawing:

Attachments

• preload_adjust.JPG
    preload_adjust.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 391
PMASwork said:
Hi, all.

(please see the attachment in the next post)

I'm re-using an old power converter in a design, which unfortunately requires a rather large minimum load to properly regulate. I can't alter this converter; I have to use it as-is. But, I can monitor the output, and add circuitry as needed to a new card that is being conencted to the old converter's output.

I'd like to utilize a circuit that will provide this wasted minimum load, but will also reduce this wasted load as the useful current (to the rest of the system) increases. That is, I'm intetrested in wasting as little power as possible, given my design constraints.

I thought about using a small resistor in series with the useful load, and monitoring the voltage across this resistor (call it Vx). I would want to effectively increase the resistance of the wasted load as Vx increases. This would drive down the wasted power as the useful power increases.

At first, I thought of using an op amp as a differential amplifier (amplifying Vx), and connecting the output of the op amp to the gate of an n-channel FET (having the FET operate in its linear region, effectively as a resistor). But, for a constant Vds, an increase in Vx would decrease the Rds of the FET, not increase it.

I can't hlep but think that I'm close here, but I'm missing some key tweak that would make this work.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

You will have to be careful to avoid stability issues when you try to adjust your ballast load current versus the useful application current. Depending on how your useful load varies (how often, how fast, and by how much), it may be pretty hard to have your ancillary circuit work stably with the converter.

Can you make the wasted/ballast current do something useful, like fun a fan and/or light a light? Maybe run a nice lighted sign with your company name on it or something... Or think of some other semi-useful feature or ancillary task that can burn this minimum load current all the time...

To illustrate the bandwidth/stability issues, consider when the useful load is heavy, and your ballast current is low. All of a sudden, the useful current drops to zero, and your ballast current has to respond quickly enough so that the power converter output does not overvoltage and blow the application circuitry. But having such a fast response time means that the ballast circuit is operating within the bandwidth of the feedback circuit of the power converter, which could cause stability issues with the two control circuits "talking" to each other, and also leading to an oscillation that causes an overvoltage transient and blown application circuitry.

That is a very good point indeed; the bandwidth of any control circuit I add can affect the frequency response converter itself. I could perhaps design a filter to mitigate this, but I really don't want to add extra components if I don't have to.

Unfortunately, there's nothing useful to be done with this excess power in this particular application. Thermal is a huge issue.

Part of the problem is that the specification for several of the system loads is 0A minimum. Experience tells me that this is not really the case; I'm trying to press folks to find out what the minimum actually is. That will help me here.

Thanks for your feedback.

PMASwork said:
That is a very good point indeed; the bandwidth of any control circuit I add can affect the frequency response converter itself. I could perhaps design a filter to mitigate this, but I really don't want to add extra components if I don't have to.

Unfortunately, there's nothing useful to be done with this excess power in this particular application. Thermal is a huge issue.

Part of the problem is that the specification for several of the system loads is 0A minimum. Experience tells me that this is not really the case; I'm trying to press folks to find out what the minimum actually is. That will help me here.

Thanks for your feedback.

What about the fan approach? Especially if the thermal situation is an issue...? Or add a display that shows system status or something...

Berkeman has some good suggestions especially the fan idea. Anything you can use to take some of the heat away from the transistor is good. Even a power resistor attached to the drain would help.

What is the maximum current the power converter supplies? Perhaps you could represent the maximum current with a fixed voltage say Vmax. Then as you monitor the current in the load, you could subtract the voltage representing the current through the load (Vload) from Vmax. The remainder should be the current through Rwasted. A good way to monitor Rwasted would be with a resistor between the source and ground.

Vmax is a reference voltage adjusted with a pot.
Vload is the voltage developed across a resistor in series with the load (opamp1).
Vload is subtracted from Vmax with an opamp (opamp2).
The output from opamp2 goes to the noninverting input of opamp3.
The inverting input of opamp3 comes from the top of the source resistor, part of Rwasted.
Unless some of the opamps have gain, the source resistor should have the same resistance as the resistor in series with Rload.

1. How does a load control circuit reduce wasted power in design?

A load control circuit helps to optimize the power consumption of a system by regulating the amount of power that is supplied to the load. This means that only the necessary amount of power is used, reducing wasted power and increasing efficiency.

2. What types of components are typically used in a load control circuit?

There are various components that can be used in a load control circuit, including switches, resistors, capacitors, and inductors. These components work together to regulate the power supply and ensure that only the required amount of power is delivered to the load.

3. How does a load control circuit impact the overall design of a system?

A load control circuit can greatly impact the overall design of a system by reducing its power consumption and improving its efficiency. This can result in cost savings, longer battery life, and a smaller overall footprint for the system.

4. What are some potential benefits of using a load control circuit?

Some potential benefits of using a load control circuit include improved energy efficiency, reduced power consumption, cost savings, and increased reliability of the system. It can also help to extend the lifespan of components by preventing them from overheating.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a load control circuit?

One potential drawback of using a load control circuit is that it adds an extra layer of complexity to the design of a system. This may require additional resources and expertise to implement effectively. Additionally, if the circuit is not properly designed or maintained, it can lead to system failures or malfunctions.