How can I test the load output of my hydro turbine without breaking the bank?

In summary, the conversation discusses building a hydro turbine with a limited budget and seeking suggestions for obtaining load output data. One possible solution suggested is to find an old generator with a defective engine that has the desired power output.
NickInv
Hi Everyone, I am building a hydro turbine, I am expecting it to produce circa 4 kw possibly as high as 7 kw depending on flow. I am on a very limited budget. Please could you suggest possible means of getting load output data? I have considered attaching a heavy truck 24 v alternator and doing a simple calculation from amp output but I'm not sure I can get a big enough alternator, around 200 amp?
Thanks
Nick

Engineering news on Phys.org
Find yourself an old generator of the proper power output, ideally with a defective engine to keep the cost down. For example, something similar to this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robin-Rgd-5000-Watt-Diesel-Generator-For-Parts-/111523201105?pt=BI_Generators&hash=item19f74d0051.

Likes billy_joule

1. What is a load/dyno test for a turbine?

A load/dyno test for a turbine is a performance test that involves applying a controlled load to the turbine and measuring various parameters such as power output, efficiency, and torque. This test is used to evaluate the performance and capabilities of a turbine under different operating conditions.

2. Why is a load/dyno test important for turbines?

A load/dyno test is important for turbines because it allows for the evaluation and optimization of the turbine's performance. This test helps identify any potential issues or limitations in the turbine's design and can be used to make improvements for better efficiency and reliability.

3. How is a load/dyno test conducted for a turbine?

A load/dyno test for a turbine is typically conducted in a controlled environment, such as a laboratory or a test facility. The turbine is connected to a dynamometer, which applies a load to the turbine while various parameters are measured. The test is usually conducted at different load levels and operating conditions to gather comprehensive data.

4. What are the benefits of a load/dyno test for a turbine?

The benefits of a load/dyno test for a turbine include improved performance, increased efficiency, and enhanced reliability. This test also helps identify any potential issues or weaknesses in the turbine design, allowing for improvements to be made before the turbine is put into operation.

5. Who performs a load/dyno test for a turbine?

A load/dyno test for a turbine is usually conducted by a team of engineers and technicians with expertise in turbine design and testing. These professionals use specialized equipment and software to conduct the test and analyze the data gathered to ensure accurate and reliable results.