Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Load Factor

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1
    I am just trying to get my head around what a load factor is an indication of.

It seems that a load factor of 35% or more shows more kwh for your dollar on the end user side of things. But can a more close examination be made in saying "The load factor was 35% in April, and 22% in June therefor the heating required in April affected the buildings load factor more than that required in June.

So my question which is open for discussion is, what does a load factor tell us about the energy use of a building?

Thanks, Dave
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Load factor is the ratio of the average load to the peak load. "...what does a load factor tell us about the energy use of a building?" A lower value would tell us that there is a lot of energy being consumed during the utility's peak times. It cost power companys more to produce the next kw at high peak loads compaired to off peak times.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?