1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Load factors

1. Mar 26, 2012 #1
    hi, not sure if im posting in the right section, had a good look through the search option but cannot find what im looking for, probably because im being stupid..

im working on some simple beam calculations, im a studying architecture, however im trying to get my head round load factors..

if i have a 2 storey building and i want to remove a facing wall say 5.0 in length this is how i would calculate the load on the beam

Dead load
    1. area of wall it will carry in this case 5m x 3m high wall x 4.4kn/m2 (load for 240mm brick wall with plaster.

2. floor 5m x 2.5 (half of floor distribution onto beam) x 2.05kn/m2

3. roof 5m x 2m x 1.19kn/m2

then the imposed loads on the roof

my question is, im trying to input this data onto CSC Tedds calculation software and im confused as to what loading information i should input .. i would assume i would put total dead and total imposed loads by multiplying the width by height by load of material which i have tried..

however it fails the beam size that has been approved manually. i believe im doing something wrong with the data input as Tedds has load factors of 1.6 and 1.4 which i did not use any load factors when working out manually.. can somone guide me as to what the load factors for dead and imposed means? do i need to use these if i have worked out the total udl with the example above?

thank you so much in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2012 #2
    its cool guys i figured it out.. thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook