1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Load of math help needed, come rescue me!

1. Sep 20, 2005 #1
    First one up is a chain rule problem
    x=y*z and y=2sin(y+z), find dx/dy. I've never seen a chain rule problem set up like that before and it's driving me insane. I've done all kinds of solving for various variables and subbing, and I can't get the right damned answer(which I do know from the book, at least)

Then there's a differential problem
    the thin lens formula is 1/i +1/o =1/f

if i=15 when o=10, use differentials to find i when o=10.1

Again, it's different from all the others ones and it bugs me. do I go ahead and solve for f and am I assume f is the same or something for the +.1 case?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2005 #2
    yup, it's dx/dy

4. Sep 20, 2005 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are those two equations supposed to be a system? If so then I would eliminate z in the second one and subsitute in into the first.

5. Sep 20, 2005 #4
    Eliminating z is what I tried first, except the answer in the book is z-y+tan(y+z)

6. Sep 20, 2005 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, one other question: Are you familiar with partial derivatives?

7. Sep 20, 2005 #6
    Yah

that's what this chapter is, in fact

8. Sep 20, 2005 #7

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK. You've got a function [itex]x=f(y,z)=yz[/itex]. What makes this wierd is that in the chain rule you usually find dx/dt, where t is not the same as either of the two variables y or z. Only this time, it is.

So the Chain Rule for your problem would be written as:

[tex]
    \frac{dx}{dy}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dy}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\frac{dz}{dy}[/tex]

Note that all I've done is put "y" where "t" is would normally be. Give that a shot.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  9. Sep 20, 2005 #8

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

f is the focal length, and it is a constant for a given lens. It is i and o that vary. So yes, find out what the value of f is and use it for the next part of the problem. You have a function of a single variable, and you can use Calculus I methods on it.

10. Sep 20, 2005 #9
    Ok, thanks! That's what I figured for the second one but wasn't sure

back to the first one, so you end up with

z+y(1/2sqrt(1-y^2/4))? Does that simplify to the given answer?

11. Sep 20, 2005 #10

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I did indeed get the answer that you posted, but I didn't get any square roots along the way.

12. Sep 20, 2005 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't even see HOW you could get a square root out of that!

x=y*z so
    [tex]\frac{dx}{dy}= z+ y(\frac{dz}{dy})[/tex] and you can get [tex]\frac{dz}{dy}[/tex] by using "implicit differentiation" on y=2sin(y+z).

13. Sep 20, 2005 #12
    oh, haha, I solved for z and then took the derivative of some arcsin

14. Sep 20, 2005 #13
    Ok, yet annooother question!

I'll spare you the nitty details of the word problem, but I've got a piece of material 24 cm long, and if you bend the ends up it makes a trapezoid, and I need to maximize the area of that trapezoid

so I guess I need to express the area in terms of two variables, then take the partial derivatives in terms of each, and set the two equations =0 and solve for the variables?

15. Sep 20, 2005 #14

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might have to lay the details on us. If all you have is a trapezoid, then there can be up to 5 independent variables by my count. Is anything else said about the trapezoid?

16. Sep 20, 2005 #15
    Well you bend the sides of the line/string/whatever up by an angle theta on each side, so I was able to express the area in terms of w(the length of the side that got bent up)and and sins and cosines of theta

17. Sep 20, 2005 #16

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See there? You didn't say that before. The definition of a trapezoid does not require that the two nonparallel sides each make the same angle with the parallel bases.

I would let one base of the trapezoid rest on the x-axis, with its midpoint at the origin. Then I would write down coordinates for the vertices. Since the trapezoid will be symmetric about the y-axis, you'll have 3 independent variables (1 for each base and 1 for the height). The constraint that the total perimeter is 24 can be used to eliminate 1 variable, which brings you to 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?