1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Load on ladder leaning against a wall

1. Oct 10, 2005 #1
    Hello, I got this problem from a book

"A light ladder leans against a perfetly smooth vertical wall at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal. A load of 800N is placed 3-quarters of the way up the ladder. If the ladder rests on a rough horizontal surface which prevents slipping, find the magnitude and direction of the reaction between the ladder and the ground"

Since the system is in equilibrium, I resolved vertically and got

R sin(theta) = 800

where R is the reaction force, and theta is the angle of the reaction force with the horizontal.

The problem is I can't get another equation so that I can find R and theta.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2005 #2

mezarashi

Homework Helper

Okay, first of all, my definition of "reaction" is the normal force produced by any surface, which I think does not coincide with your definition. In anycase, This problem involves three equations which are easily solved.

1. Fnet = 0 (in the x direction)
    2. Fnet = 0 (in the y direction)
    3. Mnet = 0 (torque, no rotation)

The frictionless wall will only produce a force in x. The floor will only produce a force in y. The friction at ladder's base will produce a force in -x. The 800 N load will produce a force in the -y.

Now for moments. Take the moments about the ladder's base (you can choose any point, but this point is particularly easy. Then the two forces that will create a torque around this point will be the 800N load (counter clockwise) and the reaction force of the wall (clockwise). They must sum up to zero.

Go get em =)

4. Oct 10, 2005 #3
    No mention of the ladder length is made, so I cannot use moments

5. Oct 10, 2005 #4

mezarashi

Homework Helper

Are you sure? Try denoting the length of the ladder as L. Leave it as L (you don't need to substitute a number), and see what happens.

6. Oct 11, 2005 #5
    Solved

Did that, and solved it

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?