1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Load Sharing for two non-identical plates.

1. Apr 7, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I have been given a project in which I have to design a ramp powered by a motor and gear-train. For the actual "deck" which the vehicles will roll on I have selected two 5mm Al 6061 T6 plates which are bolted together. The bottom plate will have 4 cut-outs taken from it and act as a frame (Drawn up on inventor and stress simulated and proves to be suitable). The maximum load the ramp must take is 100kg. How can I work out the load taken by the top plate and the load taken by the bottom frame plate? We haven't had to do anything like this in college yet.

Dimensions: Top plate - 2.5m long x 1.25 wide x 0.005 thick
    Frame - Same as above but has 4, 1.175m long x 0.55m wide sections removed.

This problem is holding up the entire project as most everything else is sorted out and easy enough.

Pic attached below.

http://imgur.com/w5B2j

The black lines visible are the lines of the frame underneath the main top plate. Max deflection according to inventor is 17mm.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted