Designing a Truck Loader - Can It Be Done Cheaply?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load Truck
In summary: You might be able to find something similar for a few hundred dollars, but it would be much cheaper to build something yourself. In summary, a car or truck with a mounted engine could be used to drive a platform with a forklift up a ramp. Alternatively, a pully system could be setup in the rafters of a garage. There are also smaller animal transport tables that are available for purchase.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Does anyone know of or know of the feasability of making like a cheap, gas or electric operated machine that you can bring up to a truck, load a bunch fo stuff on it (just a few boards with maybe locking sides for loose stuff) and drive it up a ramp or something :D It seems like around my house, we're continually getting big things that need to be transported off the truck... and I am lazy :D

I was thinking about mounting an engine on something with tracks or wheels and just attach a big metal board above it... dumb :D but I am bored lol

Ive been watching too much junkyard wars lately :-/ Also, what kind of programs would help in designing something like that...

Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds like what you want falls under the classification of "motorized hand truck". Do a google of this phrase to find examples.

If you're moving pallets into the backs of trucks, and you don't want to buy a fork lift, consider a "stacker". Stackers typically have a car battery powered moto (that you charge up every once in a while) and can lift. But to maneuver around, you use human power. Ah, here's a link:
http://www.dcgraves.com/stacker%20straddle.htm

Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
lol ooo cool :D They look funny though. Probably look like someone driving down home depot lol. How much do you think they are?

http://northamerica.yale.com/lift_trucks/index.asp

That seems to have a lot of cool things. I wonder the price for these things. I kinda wanted to build something because I've been watching too many junkyard wars shows!

I tend to think like a farmer in situations like this. Look at what you want to do, look at what you have available in the way of parts and tools, and improvise. The result might be ugly, but who cares as long as it works?

There are non-motorized versions of hand trucks that use a hydraulic foot pump to raise and lower the forks/platform. Although, even those are $500+.

Why not just rig up a large pully and support system in some rafters of your garage. Anything large that needs to be unloaded, have the truck pull under the hoist. If you had electric in the garage, you could splurge and get a relatively inexpensive electric hoist with a 500 Lbf capacity.

Danger said:
I tend to think like a farmer in situations like this. Look at what you want to do, look at what you have available in the way of parts and tools, and improvise. The result might be ugly, but who cares as long as it works?
How about thinking like a veterinarian? What you all are describing sounds just like the sort of surgical tables used for large animals, like cattle. They have hydraulic lifts to raise them up to a comfortable height for the surgical procedure, and then to lower them back down to get the animals on and off (they can also tilt in various directions). They have wheels on the base so you can roll them, but then hydraulics can retract the wheels for stability so it doesn't start rolling away during the procedure. (And if you toss a few blankets on it, it makes a halfway decent bed when you have to tend to animals all night too...they're also fun to ride on when really bored. :biggrin:)

Okay, on the smaller animal scale, maybe these transport/lift tables will give you some design ideas. http://www.paragonmed.com/mobiletables.shtml

Moonbear said:
How about thinking like a veterinarian?
I have enough trouble with the sheep already, without introducing medical toys.

Moonbear said:
they're also fun to ride on when really bored. :biggrin:)
So was Sylvia, but I thought that we agreed to leave her in the 'Weird Food' thread down in GD.
Moonbear said:
Okay, on the smaller animal scale, maybe these transport/lift tables will give you some design ideas.
I didn't actually look at those links, but only for one reason. You don't really want to lay out a couple of thousand bucks for hydraulic equipment to dump one truck. Unless you have access to a good surplus shop, hydraulic stuff is very expensive.

1. How do you load something from a truck?

To load something from a truck, you will need to have a loading dock or a forklift. Position the truck close to the dock or forklift and secure it in place. Then, use a forklift or other loading equipment to transfer the items from the truck to the desired location.

2. What is the best way to load heavy items from a truck?

For heavy items, it is important to use proper lifting techniques to avoid injury. Use a forklift or other loading equipment to lift and transfer the items. It may also be helpful to have a team of people to assist with the loading process.

3. Can you load items from a truck manually?

It is not recommended to load heavy items manually from a truck as it can pose a safety risk. However, if the items are smaller and lighter, they can be manually loaded using proper lifting techniques and with the help of other team members.

4. How do you ensure the safety of the items being loaded from a truck?

To ensure the safety of the items being loaded from a truck, it is important to properly secure them on the loading equipment and to use proper lifting techniques. It is also important to have a clear path and to communicate effectively with any team members assisting in the loading process.

5. Is it necessary to inspect the truck before loading?

Yes, it is important to inspect the truck before loading to ensure that it is in proper working condition and can safely transport the items. Check the tires, brakes, and any other potential hazards before proceeding with the loading process.