Optimal Grounding for Loadcell Shields: Logic Ground or Earth Ground?

In summary, when connecting a load cell to a circuit, it is best to connect the shield wire to the chassis ground instead of the 0V rail.
j777
Hello,

When is it OK to connect the shield wire of a loadcell to the 0V rail vs chassis ground? I have seen it connected to the 0V rail but other sources seem to indicate that it should be connected to chassis ground. Any thoughts/advise?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
What's a loadcell? Can you point us to a datasheet?

Sorry for not being clear. A load cell is a form of strain gauge commonly used in scales. Below is a link to a datasheet for a load cell.

http://www.flintec.com/loadcells/bk2.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, thanks. For environments where there can be EM noise that the shield is picking up, it should not be connected to the ground of your circuit. If it were, shield currents could then flow through your circuit ground, which will introduce noise into your measurement. Also, ESD and other transients would be introduced into your circuit by making that connection.

How is this connection made in a system such as a laptop computer where the only "ground" is the 0V rail?

j777 said:
How is this connection made in a system such as a laptop computer where the only "ground" is the 0V rail?

A laptop would be a bad choice for a data aquisition controller for this situation. Because laptops have no Earth ground connection (a 3rd prong in a power cord to the AC mains), and because they have switching power supplies inside them, they are very noisy with respect to the outside environment.

With a grounded device, like a desktop PC, the switching power supplies are designed to dump common-mode capacitive switching noise into chassis ground, instead of driving the logic ground with this noise. Laptops, with their floating 2-wire connections to the outside world (or even with no connection running off batteries) dump this common-mode switching noise into logic ground, which goes right into your precision analog measurement circuitry. I've had aweful difficulties trying to do precision analog stuff with laptop computers -- ack!

It's best to use chassis/Earth ground for dumping noise, and keep your measurement circuitry floating with respect to chassis/Earth ground, at least in the frequencies of measurement interest.

Thanks, that's exactly the information I needed. I'm not using a laptop but I have the choice of connecting the shield wires to logic ground or Earth ground and because connecting them to Earth ground is a little more work I wanted to make sure it is the best thing to do.

Once again thanks for taking the time to help me out.

1. How do I connect the Loadcell Shield to my microcontroller?

The Loadcell Shield can be connected to the microcontroller using the I2C interface. The shield has built-in pull-up resistors, so you can connect it directly to the SDA and SCL pins on your microcontroller. You will also need to connect the shield's ground and power pins to the corresponding pins on your microcontroller.

2. Can I use the Loadcell Shield with any type of load cell?

The Loadcell Shield is compatible with most load cells that have a Wheatstone bridge configuration and operate at a voltage of 5V. However, it is always best to consult the datasheet of your specific load cell to ensure compatibility.

3. How many load cells can I connect to the Loadcell Shield?

The Loadcell Shield has four input channels, which means you can connect up to four load cells at a time. However, if you need to connect more load cells, you can use multiple shields and communicate with each one separately using different I2C addresses.

4. How accurate is the Loadcell Shield?

The Loadcell Shield has a resolution of 24 bits, which means it can measure weight with a precision of 1 part per 16.8 million. However, the overall accuracy also depends on the accuracy of the load cell being used.

5. Can I use the Loadcell Shield in a high-temperature environment?

The Loadcell Shield is designed to operate in a temperature range of -40°C to 85°C. However, if your application requires higher temperatures, you can use a load cell with a higher temperature rating and ensure proper ventilation for the shield.