1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Loaded Beams

1. Jan 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to plot a graph showing the deflection of the beam across its length giving a value of x at every 1m.
    The youngs modulus for the beam is 210 GNm^-2 and the moment of inertia is 54 X 10^-7 m^4

2. Relevant equations
    Really unsure where to start on this one.

I have found the equation M/IE= (d^2 y)/(dx^2) but I am unsure where to go from here

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

• Beam.pdf
      Beam.pdf
      File size:
      90.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2015 #2
    anyone

4. Jan 11, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know how to calculate M for the beam with the given loading?

5. Jan 11, 2015 #4
    I have calculated the bending moments at 1m intervals but I am not sure about calculating the internal moment?

6. Jan 11, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear what you mean by 'internal moment'. The M which determines the deflection of the beam is the bending moment.

7. Jan 11, 2015 #6
    In that case, to answer your question, yes i know how to calculate the bending moment(s) of the beam.

8. Jan 11, 2015 #7
    SteamKing, can you please advise where I need to progress to from this?

9. Jan 11, 2015 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are asked to plot a graph. Does mean you are expected to do this numerically, rather than by solving a differential equation? I'll assume so.

Starting at the point of support (x=0), you have zero deflection and zero gradient.
    You can use the equations you have to find the bending moment there, and hence find (d^2 y)/(dx^2).
    If you now step out a distance dx along the beam, what would you estimate y and dy/dx to be there?

10. Jan 13, 2015 #9
    I have now found the solution. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted