Transformer Loading: Relationships & Calculations

• Thread starter temujin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary, the textbook provides the relationships \frac{V_{sec}}{V_{pri}}=\frac{N_{sec}}{N_{pri}} and \frac{I_{sec}}{I_{pri}}=\frac{N_{sec}}{N_{pri}} for loading the secondary winding of a transformer. However, these relationships do not account for parasitic inductance, capacitance, resistance, and core material issues. To create a more accurate model, one can also consider the leakage inductance, winding resistance, and inter-winding capacitance. The N1:N2 transformation only applies to the magnetizing inductance components of this model.
temujin
dear all,

When loading the secondary winding of a transformer, my textbook gives the following relationships:
[tex]\frac{V_{sec}}{V_{pri}}=\frac{N_{sec}}{N_{pri}}\\[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{I_{sec}}{I_{pri}}=\frac{N_{sec}}{N_{pri}}\\[/tex]

Do these relationships hold also when the diameter of the windings are different?
I suspect they don´t...If they do not, are there any other relationships I can use to calculate I and V in the secondary winding?

regards
t.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Those are the simple first-order relationships, and as you suspect, they ignore parasitic inductance, capacitance and resistance, as well as core material issues. I did a quick google search, and pages like this one are pretty common:

http://www.beigebag.com/case_xfrmer_2.htm

Depending on lots of stuff, you can make your model a lot more accurate by including at least the leakage inductance and winding resistance (both are in series with the magnetizing inductance), and also the inter-winding capacitance of each winding (put in parallel with the magnetizing inductance of each winding). The N1:N2 transformation only applies to the magnetizing inductance components of this model.

Hope that helps, -Mike-

Last edited by a moderator:

Dear T,

Thank you for bringing up this question about transformer loading relationships and calculations. The relationships you have mentioned are known as the turns ratio and they do still hold true even when the diameter of the windings are different. This is because the turns ratio is a fundamental property of the transformer and is independent of the physical dimensions of the windings.

However, in practical applications, the diameter of the windings can affect the transformer's performance and loading. In this case, there are other relationships that can be used to calculate the secondary voltage and current. One such relationship is the transformer's impedance ratio, which is given by:

\frac{Z_{sec}}{Z_{pri}}=\left(\frac{N_{sec}}{N_{pri}}\right)^2

This relationship takes into account the impedance of the windings and can provide a more accurate calculation of the secondary voltage and current. Additionally, the transformer's load also affects its performance, so it is important to consider the load when calculating the secondary voltage and current.

I hope this helps clarify the relationships and calculations involved in transformer loading. Thank you for your question and all the best in your studies.

1. What is the purpose of transformer loading?

The purpose of transformer loading is to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another, while maintaining the voltage and frequency of the power supply. This allows for efficient and safe distribution of electricity to different areas.

2. What is the relationship between transformer loading and efficiency?

The efficiency of a transformer is directly affected by its loading. When a transformer is loaded close to its maximum capacity, it will operate at a lower efficiency. This is because more energy is lost as heat due to the increased resistance in the transformer's coils.

3. How is transformer loading calculated?

To calculate transformer loading, you need to know the transformer's rated power and the load connected to it. Simply divide the load by the rated power to get the loading percentage. For example, if a 500 kVA transformer has a load of 250 kVA, the loading percentage would be 50%.

4. What is the difference between primary and secondary transformer loading?

Primary transformer loading refers to the load connected to the transformer's primary winding, while secondary transformer loading refers to the load connected to the secondary winding. The primary loading affects the input voltage and current, while the secondary loading affects the output voltage and current.

5. How does transformer loading affect voltage regulation?

Transformer loading has a significant impact on voltage regulation. As the load on a transformer increases, the voltage regulation decreases. This means that the output voltage will decrease as the load increases. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the loading when designing a transformer for a specific application.