1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Loading of transformer

1. Aug 27, 2005 #1
    dear all,

When loading the secondary winding of a transformer, my textbook gives the following relationships:
    [tex]\frac{V_{sec}}{V_{pri}}=\frac{N_{sec}}{N_{pri}}\\[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\frac{I_{sec}}{I_{pri}}=\frac{N_{sec}}{N_{pri}}\\[/tex]

Do these relationships hold also when the diameter of the windings are different?
    I suspect they don´t...If they do not, are there any other relationships I can use to calculate I and V in the secondary winding?

regards
    t.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2005 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Those are the simple first-order relationships, and as you suspect, they ignore parasitic inductance, capacitance and resistance, as well as core material issues. I did a quick google search, and pages like this one are pretty common:

http://www.beigebag.com/case_xfrmer_2.htm

Depending on lots of stuff, you can make your model a lot more accurate by including at least the leakage inductance and winding resistance (both are in series with the magnetizing inductance), and also the inter-winding capacitance of each winding (put in parallel with the magnetizing inductance of each winding). The N1:N2 transformation only applies to the magnetizing inductance components of this model.

Hope that helps, -Mike-

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?