1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Loading on a gearbox

1. Jul 31, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

If 2 twin cylinder engines are geared together (90 degree cranks) and then a chain is coupled to the rear engine to a gearbox, would it be best to have a 1432 or a 1 and 3, 2 and 4 firing order,1 being front engine left 4 rear engine right ,to give least load on the gearbox, intuition tells me 1432 would be best (the load is spread) evenly, but would the main shaft bearing have a reduced life time.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2008 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I assume you are talking about the dynamic loads from the engine, not the transmitted power from the shaft? An educated guess would be option B which would have more of a dynamic balance to it.

Your main shaft bearings are journal bearings, correct? I can't see how you would have reduced life unless the coupling of the two increases the radial loading. Is there an option to increase oil pressure slightly?

4. Jul 31, 2008 #3

wolram

Gold Member

There is an option for an uprated bearing but it requires some crank case mods, so i am not sure if it is justifiable, i may be able to increase pressure with an uprated oil pump, yes they are journal bearings.

5. Aug 6, 2008 #4
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook