Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Loading on a gearbox

1. Jul 31, 2008 #1

Gold Member

If 2 twin cylinder engines are geared together (90 degree cranks) and then a chain is coupled to the rear engine to a gearbox, would it be best to have a 1432 or a 1 and 3, 2 and 4 firing order,1 being front engine left 4 rear engine right ,to give least load on the gearbox, intuition tells me 1432 would be best (the load is spread) evenly, but would the main shaft bearing have a reduced life time.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

I assume you are talking about the dynamic loads from the engine, not the transmitted power from the shaft? An educated guess would be option B which would have more of a dynamic balance to it.

Your main shaft bearings are journal bearings, correct? I can't see how you would have reduced life unless the coupling of the two increases the radial loading. Is there an option to increase oil pressure slightly?
  4. Jul 31, 2008 #3

Gold Member

There is an option for an uprated bearing but it requires some crank case mods, so i am not sure if it is justifiable, i may be able to increase pressure with an uprated oil pump, yes they are journal bearings.
  5. Aug 6, 2008 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?