Calculating Minimum Diameter for Steel Pin w/ Partial Uniform Load

In summary: There's gotta be a point where the load exceeds the area of the plate.I think you'll find that the bracket's strength is also limited.
roldy
I'm a bit rusty on partial uniform loading on a pin. I want to find the minimum diameter a cold rolled steel pin has to be using a factor of safety of 2 with a loading of 25000 lbs. The pin in the picture is welded between two plates (the right plate bends in and is welded to the left plate below the pin) . These plates are welded to a box (another pin is located on the opposite side of the box). A hook grabs onto this pin. I've tried finding equations regarding partial uniform loading. The equations I've turned up show the center piece the same width as the gap.

Attachments

• Part1.pdf
    3.8 KB · Views: 230
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think this paper may provide some insight for you, it is an analysis of a pin in double shear: http://www.ewp.rpi.edu/hartford/~kw...es/Edward Kwon - Preliminary Final Report.pdf

upload_2016-7-27_10-36-31.png

Thanks for the paper. However, this does not show how the stress changes if the clevis has two different thicknesses. I guess I could take the worst case scenario and use the lesser of the two thicknesses for my t1.

Based on the posts so far I'm guessing that running an FEA model for your specific geometry is not an option?

You are correct. I was hoping that I could come up with an equation for this type of scenario.

Your scenario is challenging to find an analytical solution for because there is a gap between the inner and outer clevis which will cause a bending load on the pin, and the outer clevis's plates are asymmetric in thickness.

Have you considered making some assumptions to simplify your modeling task? I think you could consider a beam bending model of just the pin with a simply-supported beam. This would be a "worst-case" analysis because the pin would not be stiffened by the clevis in this case. Otherwise, FEA really may be your best option.

Yes I've considered beam analysis and I am currently working on this.

Make sure to calculate the Von Mises stress to combine shear and tensile/compressive stresses for your analysis.

Do you have a 3D model of the same? Its hard to properly understand the system...
A hand drawn 3D view would also suffice.

A lifting hook goes around the pin.

Attachments

• Part1.PDF
    310.7 KB · Views: 243
Looks like a questionable strength design to me. How are you evaluating the strength of the bracket holding the pin?

Likes Nidum
I would agree with Mech_Engineer, I think you'll find that the 1/4" plate will be a limiting factor in this design.

Maybe you haven't got there yet, but I think you should check tear out shear on that plate section.

1. What is the purpose of calculating the minimum diameter for a steel pin with partial uniform load?

The purpose of this calculation is to determine the minimum diameter required for a steel pin to safely support a given load without experiencing failure or deformation.

2. How is the partial uniform load defined in this calculation?

The partial uniform load is defined as a load that is evenly distributed over a specific portion of the steel pin, rather than being applied at a single point.

3. What factors are considered when calculating the minimum diameter for a steel pin with partial uniform load?

The factors that are taken into account include the material properties of the steel, the magnitude and distribution of the load, and the desired safety factor to ensure the pin can withstand unexpected variations in the load.

4. Can this calculation be applied to any type of steel pin?

This calculation is specifically designed for steel pins, as the material properties of steel are different from other materials and can withstand higher loads. It may not be applicable to pins made of other materials such as aluminum or plastic.

5. How accurate is this calculation in determining the minimum diameter for a steel pin with partial uniform load?

This calculation provides an estimate of the minimum diameter based on the given factors, but it is always recommended to consult with a professional engineer for a more precise and thorough analysis.