Easy Guide to Installing Windows 98: Step-by-Step Instructions

• Thread starter slim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, someone told me that they had problems installing win 98 on their computer and needed help. They were not able to provide any more information other than their PC's configuration, CPU, memory, mainboard, etc. and how they partitioned their HDD. I was not able to help them because I do not have that information.
slim
Can someone tell me how to install win 98 please.

I have :-

Partisioned the drive,
Formated the drive,

Done everything it says in the book, up to runing setup from the win 98 cd, then pc resets itself.

Can someone help me it s driving me nutts

Computer science news on Phys.org
We need more details

Well, if that's everything you are willing to share with us, I'm afraid we can't help you.

What's your PC's configuration, CPU, memory, mainboard, etc?

and how did you partition your HDD? how many partitions? Fat16 Fat32?

Well i don't know much about these things but here goes.

Mother board: Gigabyte GA 7VRXP ATA133 Socket A
CPU: AMD Athlon 1900+
Video: Nvidia 128 MB DDR Geforce 4 Ti 4200
Memory: 256 MB PC 2100 DDR 266 DIMM
Drives: WD IDE 60 GB 5400rpm (which is set as single)
Lite on IDE Rewriter (set to master)
Floppy disk drive
Cards: Sound blaster live 5.1
jetway 56k rockwell pci
with 300W power supply.

Does this help?
I hope so :wink:

By the way the startup disk i am using was made on my other pc, does this matter?

I get up to typing in E:\setup (E is the cd drive the win 98 cd is in). Then it resets itself .

I think this is the right drive letter because if i do E:\ (at the A:\ prompt) then type dir I can see the setup exe file in the list.

Any ideas what I can try next?

Thanks for any help

all that I can imagine is either the CD is bad, either change the source. AMDs use more power than the Intel

How to install

1. Using a startup disk from another computer will not affect anything.

2. Boot your computer from the startup disk. Make sure to select the start with CD Rom drivers option.

3. After the computer boots enter "fdisk" (without quotes) at the A:\

4. In Fdisk make sure to delete all partitions! Create a new 2GB partition for your system files. You can always make data partitions later with a windows program (partion magic, etc.)

5. Exit fdisk and return to the A:\ prompt. Type "fdisk /mbr" this wipes the slate clean on your master boot record.

6. Restart.

7. At the A:\ "format C:" after it has formated enter label and restart.

8. After computer boots with the CD option type E:\setup. This should start the process. First it will do a scan on your disk to make sure it has the correct file structure and then it will start to install.

If all this doesn't work you may have a bad cd. They say that you can't use a OEM disk to install, but I have done it literally 50 times or so.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more trouble, I would be more than happy to help you out.

One more thing, if you have mismatched ram, a bad stick, or one is not seated properly it can cause problems in the install phase so double check.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by slim
By the way the startup disk i am using was made on my other pc, does this matter?

I get up to typing in E:\setup (E is the cd drive the win 98 cd is in). Then it resets itself .

I think this is the right drive letter because if i do E:\ (at the A:\ prompt) then type dir I can see the setup exe file in the list.

Any ideas what I can try next?

Thanks for any help
You might try running the setup.exe located inside the win98 folder.

I don't like to be nagged to enter the win98 CD when I make changes to my system so following the format I create a folder on the C: drive called win98, copy all the files from the win98 folder on the installation CD into it, perform a sys c: operation to make the hard drive bootable, then reboot the computer and run the setup.exe located inside the win98 folder on the hard drive. This is slick little trick you might want to give a try.

Good luck

Thanks all. Changed the power supply and it now works! I think the 12V line was iffy :frown:

Alright !

How did you finally decide to partition the drive, and did you install from the CD or copy the win98 files to a folder on the hard drive first?

Good!

It is almost always something simple!

Originally posted by slim
Thanks all. Changed the power supply and it now works! I think the 12V line was iffy :frown:
My 2500+ just killed a power supply. It had been running fine for months before suddenly shutting off. Scared the crap out of me too, until I figured it out.

slim: you should try Linux sometimes...:smile: :wink:

hah, that's almost mean Guy.

:smile:

1. How can I install Windows 98 on my computer?

The installation process for Windows 98 varies depending on your computer's hardware and current operating system. You will need a Windows 98 installation disc or USB drive, and you can follow the instructions provided by Microsoft to complete the installation process.

2. Can I upgrade from an older version of Windows to Windows 98?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade from Windows 95 or 3.1 to Windows 98. However, it is recommended to perform a clean installation for optimal performance. You can backup your files and settings before installing Windows 98, and then restore them after the installation is complete.

3. How much disk space is required to install Windows 98?

The minimum disk space required for a clean installation of Windows 98 is 140 MB. However, if you are upgrading from a previous version of Windows, you will need at least 195 MB of free space on your hard drive.

4. Can I install Windows 98 on a computer with a newer operating system?

It is not recommended to install Windows 98 on a computer with a newer operating system, as it may cause compatibility issues. It is best to install Windows 98 on a separate partition or virtual machine for testing purposes.

5. What are the system requirements for installing Windows 98?

The minimum system requirements for installing Windows 98 are a 486DX 66 MHz processor, 16 MB of RAM, and 140 MB of free disk space. However, for optimal performance, it is recommended to have a Pentium processor, 32 MB of RAM, and 500 MB of free disk space.