Local Existence & Uniqueness of Vacuum EFE Solutions

In summary: On the other hand, with a positive cosmological constant, initial data is usually enough to guarantee uniqueness. This is because the universe is "flattened" out so that signals can't propagate from the interior to infinity. In this case, one needs only to specify the initial data within a certain "horizon" (roughly speaking, the distance from the present where the signal is strongest).In summary, the author is discussing the difference between the Minkowski and Schwarzschild solutions to the Einstein equation, and how the initial data is different between the two. The author also states that, in general, the solution to the Einstein equation is unique if the cosmological constant is zero.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
When I was taking a look at this page, I noticed that she is "known for proving the local existence and uniqueness of solutions to the vacuum Einstein Equations". But this doesn't make sense to me(the uniqueness part). Just consider the Minkowski and Schwarzschild solutions. They're both vacuum solutions but are not equivalent. So is it a mistake in the above page or am I misunderstanding something?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The Minkowski and Schwarzschild solutions don't have the same initial data. It is not enough to look at the Einstein's equations alone. You need to do the 3+1 split and formulate the question as an initial value problem. Then prove the existence and uniqueness.

Likes ShayanJ, dextercioby and vanhees71
martinbn said:
The Minkowski and Schwarzschild solutions don't have the same initial data. It is not enough to look at the Einstein's equations alone. You need to do the 3+1 split and formulate the question as an initial value problem. Then prove the existence and uniqueness.
How are the initial data different between those two?
Is it correct to say that the only difference in their foliations is that in the Schwarzschild case the hypersurfaces are ## S^3 ## while in the Minkowski case they're 3D Euclidean spaces?

I cannot give you the details out of the top of my head, you'll need to look it up, I believe most texts will have the examples. In the initial data the parameter M of the Schwarzschild solution appears(it comes when you solve the constrained equations) and if not zero you don't get Minkowski.

ps The slices are not compact.

Shayan.J said:
How are the initial data different between those two?

The Cauchy surfaces for these two spacetimes have different topology and different intrinsic and extrinsic curvatures. (Note that "initial data" is something of a misnomer; data on any Cauchy surface will do, even if it is not the "first" such surface in the spacetime--that notion makes no sense for either of the spacetimes under discussion.)

Shayan.J said:
Is it correct to say that the only difference in their foliations is that in the Schwarzschild case the hypersurfaces are ##S^3## while in the Minkowski case they're 3D Euclidean spaces?

No, because Cauchy surfaces (spacelike hypersurfaces that intersect every causal curve exactly once) in (maximally extended) Schwarzschild spacetime are not 3-spheres. They have topology ##S^2 \times R##, and their geometry depends on how and where in the maximally extended spacetime you "cut" them.

Likes ShayanJ
I searched the internet and also the tables of contents of several numerical relativity books, but I found no numerical derivation of the Schwarzschild spacetime. Is there any website that I can find such code samples in? Preferably in C++ or Python!
Or at least a guide to the calculations needed to write such codes, specifically for the Schwarzschild case.

Shayan.J said:
When I was taking a look at this page, I noticed that she is "known for proving the local existence and uniqueness of solutions to the vacuum Einstein Equations". But this doesn't make sense to me(the uniqueness part). Just consider the Minkowski and Schwarzschild solutions. They're both vacuum solutions but are not equivalent. So is it a mistake in the above page or am I misunderstanding something?
Thanks

The question is not really "Do solutions to the Einstein equation exist and are they unique?", but rather "When do solutions to the Einstein equation exist, and what data needs to be provided to fix a unique solution?" (Also, existence can be further refined to questions like "What conditions must the initial data satisfy in order that a solution exist?" and "Given initial data satisfying these conditions, for how long in the future and/or past will the solution exist?").

By "vacuum Einstein equation", one means the equation with zero sources and zero cosmological constant. The cosmological constant can make the answer quite a bit messier.

For example, with a negative cosmological constant, initial data is not sufficient to guarantee uniqueness; one also has to specify data along the conformal boundary all the way from past infinity to future infinity. The intuitive reason for this is that signals can propagate from the interior to infinity (and back!) in finite time; thus anti-de-Sitter spacetime is like a universe "in a box". One needs to specify not only the initial conditions within the box, but also boundary conditions that detail all the radiation that might enter or leave the box throughout all of its history. Often this means a complete lack of predictability (i.e., the Cauchy problem is not well-posed).

Likes ShayanJ

1. What is the significance of local existence and uniqueness in vacuum EFE solutions?

Local existence and uniqueness refer to the ability to find a solution to a problem within a specific region and that this solution is the only one possible for that region. In the context of vacuum Einstein field equations (EFE), this means that there is a unique solution for the gravitational field in a small region of spacetime where there are no matter or energy sources present.

2. How do we know that a vacuum EFE solution exists?

The existence of a vacuum EFE solution is mathematically proven through the Cauchy-Kovalevskaya theorem, which states that a unique solution exists for a system of partial differential equations if certain conditions are met. In the case of vacuum EFE, these conditions are satisfied and therefore a solution exists.

3. Can a vacuum EFE solution exist globally?

No, a vacuum EFE solution can only exist locally. This is because the EFE equations do not take into account the effects of matter and energy, which are necessary for a solution to exist on a global scale. Additionally, the curvature of spacetime caused by matter and energy sources can affect the gravitational field and thus cannot be ignored in a global solution.

4. How does the local existence and uniqueness of vacuum EFE solutions impact our understanding of gravity?

The local existence and uniqueness of vacuum EFE solutions provide a foundation for our understanding of gravity as a geometric phenomenon. It shows that the gravitational field is a direct result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of matter and energy. This concept is fundamental in general relativity and has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations.

5. Are there any known cases where the local existence and uniqueness of vacuum EFE solutions do not hold?

Yes, there are certain extreme cases where the local existence and uniqueness of vacuum EFE solutions do not hold. One example is in the presence of a singularity, such as a black hole, where the curvature of spacetime becomes infinite and the EFE equations break down. Another example is in the early universe, where the density of matter and energy was extremely high and the effects of quantum mechanics cannot be ignored.