1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Local extremum at endpoints

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    I thought local extremum did not exist at the endpoints of a closed bounded interval, however my textbook claims this.

Wikipedia:

"A continuous (real-valued) function on a compact set always takes maximum and minimum values on that set. An important example is a function whose domain is a closed (and bounded) interval of real numbers (see the graph above). The neighborhood requirement precludes a local maximum or minimum at an endpoint of an interval."

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you consider a 'neighborhood' to be a 'neighborhood in the domain' your textbook is right. If you consider it to be a 'neighborhood in the reals' then Wikipedia is right. There are a lot of terms that are defined somewhat differently in different references. I think you'd better live by your textbooks definition. Until you change textbooks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?