Calculating Local Heat Flux in a Pipe: Is h = Nu*(k/x) the Correct Formula?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the local heat flux for a pipe. The individual is unsure of the correct calculation and considers using the Nusselt number and the local heat transfer coefficient. However, they are advised to use the local temperature difference at a specific point along the pipe for the correct calculation. The formula for the local heat transfer coefficient is h = Nu*(k/d) and the formula for the local heat flux is q = h(T(x)-T2).
evoke1l1
I am a little unsure how to get started with a homework question.

Essentially, I have to calculate the local heat flux at a distance 1.2m (x) along a pipe. I have the fluid's properties and have calculated the Reynolds number, for which I've determined the flow to be turbulent and therefore do not see to consider the distance as part of the Nusselt number calculation. From here, I know how to calculate the average heat flux per unit length, but I am unsure how to calculate the local heat flux for a pipe.

If I determine the Nusselt number, would the local heat transfer coefficient calculation be h = Nu*(k/x) for determining the local heat flux? Where h is the local heat transfer coefficient, Nu is the Nusselt number, k is thermal conductivity and x is the distance along the pipe. I could then plug these values into q = h(T1-T2) for the local heat flux. Would this be correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. The characteristic length for the Nussult number in this situation is the diameter. But, the temperature driving force is changing along the pipe. You need to use the local temperature difference at x, T(x)-T2 to calculate the local heat flux.

Likes evoke1l1
Chestermiller said:
No. The characteristic length for the Nussult number in this situation is the diameter. But, the temperature driving force is changing along the pipe. You need to use the local temperature difference at x, T(x)-T2 to calculate the local heat flux.

Thank you for this. T(x) is already specified in the question with a uniform temperature for the pipe surface so I have the two temperatures to plug in, so in my instance, would the below be correct or have I misunderstood?

h = Nu*(k/d) and q = h(T(x)-T2)

1. What is local heat flux in a pipe?

Local heat flux in a pipe refers to the amount of heat transferred per unit area at a specific point along the pipe's surface. It is a measure of the rate of heat transfer within the pipe.

2. How is local heat flux calculated?

Local heat flux can be calculated by dividing the heat transfer rate by the surface area at a specific point on the pipe's surface. This can be determined using various experimental or numerical methods.

3. Why is local heat flux important?

Local heat flux is important because it can affect the overall performance and efficiency of a system. It can also impact the materials used in the pipe, as high heat flux can lead to thermal stresses and potential damage.

4. What factors can affect local heat flux in a pipe?

The local heat flux in a pipe can be influenced by various factors such as the fluid flow rate, fluid properties, pipe material, pipe diameter, and temperature difference between the fluid and the pipe's surface.

5. How can local heat flux be controlled?

Local heat flux can be controlled by adjusting the parameters that affect it, such as the fluid flow rate, temperature, and pipe material. Insulation can also be used to reduce heat flux and prevent damage to the pipe.