1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Local heat flux in pipe

1. Dec 7, 2016 #1
    I am a little unsure how to get started with a homework question.

Essentially, I have to calculate the local heat flux at a distance 1.2m (x) along a pipe. I have the fluid's properties and have calculated the Reynolds number, for which I've determined the flow to be turbulent and therefore do not see to consider the distance as part of the Nusselt number calculation. From here, I know how to calculate the average heat flux per unit length, but I am unsure how to calculate the local heat flux for a pipe.

If I determine the Nusselt number, would the local heat transfer coefficient calculation be h = Nu*(k/x) for determining the local heat flux? Where h is the local heat transfer coefficient, Nu is the Nusselt number, k is thermal conductivity and x is the distance along the pipe. I could then plug these values into q = h(T1-T2) for the local heat flux. Would this be correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2016 #2
    No. The characteristic length for the Nussult number in this situation is the diameter. But, the temperature driving force is changing along the pipe. You need to use the local temperature difference at x, T(x)-T2 to calculate the local heat flux.

4. Dec 12, 2016 #3
    Thank you for this. T(x) is already specified in the question with a uniform temperature for the pipe surface so I have the two temperatures to plug in, so in my instance, would the below be correct or have I misunderstood?

h = Nu*(k/d) and q = h(T(x)-T2)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted