Can functions with infinite derivatives at infinity be local homeomorphisms?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of complex functions on the extended complex plane, specifically rational functions and their continuity at infinity. It also touches on the open mapping theorem and the behavior of functions with infinite derivatives or undefined derivatives at infinity. The suggestion is made to look into "Analysis on Riemann Sphere" for further understanding.
bdeln
I've just been reading about how complex functions can be defined on the extended complex plane. They start with rational functions as examples, and defining them at oo so they're continuous at oo in a sense. Eg, 1/z would be defined to be 0 at z = oo.

I understand that given a holomorphic function f, then f is not a local homeomorphism whenever f'(z) = 0 (open mapping theorem right?), but I'm wondering, what if f'(z) = oo now? Or what if I get a situation where f'(z) isn't even defined at oo, which seems to happen a lot? For example, f(z) = z^2 isn't differentiable at oo if I understand this stuff correctly, but is differentiable everywhere else. I get the feeling that, since oo is a fixed point of z^2, and z^2 is going to be covering everything twice near oo, it's not going to be a local homeomorphism there either .. but I'm wondering if anyone could clear this up for me properly, or point me in the direction of some notes/books that deal with this stuff nicely.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

What is a local homeomorphism?

A local homeomorphism is a type of mathematical function that preserves the topological structure of a space. It maps points in one topological space to points in another space, such that the local neighborhood of each point is preserved.

How is a local homeomorphism different from a global homeomorphism?

A global homeomorphism is a function that preserves the topological structure of an entire space, while a local homeomorphism only preserves the structure of a small neighborhood around each point.

What is the significance of local homeomorphisms in mathematics?

Local homeomorphisms are important in many areas of mathematics, including topology, differential geometry, and complex analysis. They allow for the study of spaces that are locally similar but not globally equivalent, and provide a framework for understanding the properties and behavior of more complex mathematical objects.

Can a function be a local homeomorphism and a global homeomorphism?

Yes, a function can be both a local and global homeomorphism. This would mean that the function preserves the topological structure of both small neighborhoods and the entire space.

How can one determine if a function is a local homeomorphism?

To determine if a function is a local homeomorphism, one can use the concept of continuity. A function is a local homeomorphism if it is continuous and has a continuous inverse at each point in the space.