1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Local maxima and minima

1. Mar 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    F(x)=(x^2)/(x+1)
    Find critical points
    Find local maxima & minima

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    F'(x) = x(x+2)/(x+1)^2

crit points: -2,0,-1

f(-2) = -4
    f(0) = 0
    f(-1)=undef

My book is telling me that f(0) is the minima, and f(-2) is the maxima. I see it as the other way around. Which way is right? Explanations? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The book is correct.

I suppose you're having trouble because the local maximum is less than the local minimum.

Graph F(x) to see what's happening .

4. Mar 31, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The book is correct. For *local* min/max (as you have here) there are second-order conditions that can be applied: if f'(x0) = 0 and f''(x0) < 0 then x0 is a strict local maximum; if f'(x0) = 0 and f''(x0) > 0, x0 is a strict local minimum. Try these tests on your function.

This does not say anything about *global* max or min, and it does not prevent a local max from being less than a local min, which is the case in this problem.

RGV

5. Mar 31, 2012 #4
    I'd like to thank you both for your guidance. I will be looking into this further.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook